The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie)

2 posters

Go down

Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie) Empty Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie)

Post  Darya Demeter Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 pm

To the untrained eye, the bizarre contraption in the front seat of Darya's mungo, clipped on to the seatbelt, would be entirely useless. A combination of a muletech, tech tape and lots of other bits and bobs, it essentially acted as a cradle, perfectly sized for a small, egg shaped robot to sit in and peer out at the world through the windows of the van.

"Is that okay for you?" Asked Darya, looking down at the droid beside her as she pulled out of Seoul Waste Away, heading towards Shanghai.

Last edited by Darya Demeter on Thu May 10, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie) Empty Re: Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie)

Post  SosieTerrehaute Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Dusty turned this way and that, looking out the window. He hadn't been outside for weeks, let alone off the compound. The muletech was a little big for his tiny body, but with enough Tex-tape and he was nothing but comfortable. "Yes, Auntie Darya! This is exceptional. It's so BRIGHT outside." The plastic lids on his eyes narrowed in the slightly grimy Seoul city light.

The little turret had taken to moving like a spider, a recent addition to his repertoire of movements. He twisted on the spot to look around. Bifocal vision was going to be a shock for him. "Oo, Shanghai! How long will it take to get there? Should I be a navigator? Bell watches a show were they use a MAP!"
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie) Empty Re: Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie)

Post  Darya Demeter Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 am

Darya was about to say that she'd done the journey so many times before that she doubted she'd directions, but stopped herself and smiled instead. "Okay then. Just let me set this up..." She said, pulling out some double sided textape and a PDA . Stopping the van at the edge of the compound, she switched the PDA to show a map and stuck it on the edge of the dashboard so that Dusty could see it. "Okay Dusty. Follow the instructions on the screen and tell me where to go." She said, smiling. "Remember though, you also need to keep looking at the surroundings as well, in case we make a wrong turn." She smiled. "Ready?"
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Wed May 09, 2012 1:02 am

Dusty struggled to salute with his spider legs; the middle open-able section of his body was closed, though for the first time in days he removed the soft ball and placed it next to him. He felt strangely.. hollow, but didn't mind. He scampered to the edge of hid "cradle", as close as he could get to the PDA. "So the little triangle is us, moving? What are the blue lines? What are the red lines? What are the BLACK lines? Why is this bit yellow and this bit gree--OH IT SAYS TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT!"

Practically buzzing with excitement, the little turret chirped directions happily. It took him a few moments, but he got the hang of the map, and settled down into cooing directions.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 am

Darya smiled. It was nice to have some company on her journeys to Shanghai. Usually, if someone was helping her, she'd meet up with them in the city itself, even those she lived with. She played along with Dusty's map giving directions, occasionally pointing out shortcuts or avoiding traffic, which the first time she did it confused the robot, but he soon adapted.

Once they had gotten out of Seoul, a few miles down the motorway, Darya pulled out a nutribar and chewed it. If Dusty ate, she'd offer him something, but as it was, it would be rather pointless.

"Dusty...what do you think about the other people in the house? Like Syl and Ace."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 am

It was 34.6 miles, or 55.7 kilometers till the next time to give directions. Dusty relaxed gently into the fabric of the muletech, eyes looking at the road, other cars, and keeping a careful eye on the the PDA in case emergency directions came up. He seemed happy in silence most of the time, though he made observations about pretty much everyone and everything he saw in a happy little voice. When Darya asked him a direct question, he regarded her carefully, and then turned out of the window. "I like everyone we live with. Rico is nice. He helps me with Dj Scissorz and Smallest, though they both seem to dislike him."

He looked at the PDA. Only 32.9 miles--52.9 kilometers--until the nest set of directions. "Syl doesn't say much, but she seems nice. She's so quiet. Sometimes I don't even hear her walking. And Ace.." The little turret thought for a bit. "Ace is new. He seems to like me, and you."

The turret turned away from the window and looked at Darya, seeing if these answers seemed satisfactory.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Wed May 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Darya nodded, slowly. "What do you think about Pinkie?" She asked, again, carefully and slowly, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Perhaps Sosie would be a better person to ask, but...she seems...afraid, possibly, of me? I don't know, she's hard to read." She frowned. "I'd hope that getting her the railgun might help her, but the drive back from the mission...didn't go so well. So...I'd like another opinion."

((Int+Psy=9, rolled a 3, passed by 6))
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 am

Dusty ruminated on this for a moment, and went back to looking outside. "Pinkie spends lots of time with Mom and Bell. It seems like she cares for them, which is good! I like them too! ..But.. she doesn't talk to me much.. She has only talked to me once." He sounded a little quiet and thoughtful about that, but Dusty's life was all about neglect, and there was no sadness in his voice. "She let me watch her shoot her guns though, so that was nice!" He turned and looked back at his beloved aunt, and beamed. If he had a mouth, he would be smiling.

"Pinkie is much scarier than you." His voice was warm. "I don't think you're scary at all. And I don't know what Pinkie could be scared of! From what I've seen, she hangs out with giant monsters and shoots GIANT guns and.. kills cult." His voice dropped, knowing that it upset Darya, sometimes, to talk about cult. "What do you have that could scare HER?"

He bobbed happily, and watched his aunt for a response. 27.5 miles.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 am

Darya smiled, and patted Dusty gently on the head with one hand. "Fear is a strange thing Dusty. What you are afraid of may not be something that possess a threat to you physically, but rather it is a reaction to a threat to something you hold dear." She sighed.

"Maybe Pinkie fears me not because I can take her down, but maybe I remind her of someone else in her past, or because she thinks that I may turn on her, or something...I don't know."

She frowned and looked out of the front window, making a mental note to tell Sosie to look after her kids, particularly her son, more. "She's coming later on in the week, possibly. I may ask her then, directly." She didn't know if this was a good idea or not, but, although she had...disagreements with her, Darya still cared for, and counted as a friend, Pinkie, and if there was something bothering the other agent about her, Darya wanted to know.
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 am

Dusty rubbed the plastic of his head into Darya's hand, despite the fact he had no sensation of touch. Maybe Smallest was rubbing off on him. He glanced at the PDA, and feeling sure that his duty to tell his aunt directions was not yet needed, gave thought to the nature of fear. He had read about it somewhat in his homework from Darya, but didn't feel he had a strong grasp on it yet. "If Pinkie fears conflict with you, won't asking her directly make her more scared? But.. She should know you would never turn on her. You are loyal to all of your family, Auntie Darya."

Other vehicles passed the car, and he gave them a passing glance, to see if there was anything interesting. Dusty's understanding of family was complicated, but human family was in many ways a concept biological and emotional.. Neither of which he had much experience in.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Thu May 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Darya smiled. "Thanks Dusty." She said, smiling.

After a moment, she began talking again. "So, Dusty. When we get to Shanghai, we'll mostly be working, since this is an investigation trip after all, but is there anything you'd like to do there? I've gotten a muletech for you with armour and a chiplock so you don't get lost, and I'll stick a tracer tag on you just in case anything happens...which it shouldn't, but we can still do some small stops. Maybe buy some presents for Sosie and Bell?"
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

"Oo! I've never been SHOPPING before." There was an excited skitter as Dusty moved along bag, before he stopped. He blinked once, white plastic lids only momentarily covering his eyes to display his change of thought. "But.. I don't have any money, and stealing is immoral." His voice sounded noticeably sad.

"However!" And instantly his voice perked up, happily, "I want to help you. I have no intention of straying. And I want to see Shanghai! Though I hear it's dangerous now. But I am a good shot and I will defend you, Auntie Darya!" Dusty seemed to say something that pleased him and something that concerned him in turns, but he was practically vibrating with the desire to be useful.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Darya smiled. "Don't worry about either of those things Dusty. I've been doing this for a long time, and I know how to take care of myself." Her smile became slightly more angular, like her face set halfway through the sentence, before returning to the soft, caring smile she used when talking to Dusty. "And as for money..." She reached into a coat pocket and pulled out some slip credit. "I think you deserve some pocket money."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 pm

If Dusty had a mouth, he would have pouted at Darya saying she could take care of herself. He wanted to help, goshdernit, and he was GOING TO. She wasn't going to stop him from helping merely by having the skills not to require his assistance. He quickly checked the PDA and before he reacted to her offering him money. He gasped softly, and then made a little noise of pleasure. "But I've never had money! I don't know what to buy! How much is it? Is it a lot? Can I buy a heavy turret!? Or a horse?? Bell keeps watching shows about horses!"

He tittered on for a few minutes more, listing things that were all very expensive but very exciting.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Thu May 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Darya made a show of mock thoughtfullness. "Well, I don't know about a horse or a heavy turret, those are really expensive...but I think 5,000 credits might be a good amount. Make up for all the backlog." She nodded towards the back of the van. "If you want, I could get you another PDA so you can look up some prices."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm

"No no no! I'm your navigator, and I must not neglect my duties! You will need to bear right in 18.4 miles, and I will need to remind you." Dusty's voice was happy and warm, enjoying his duty. He spun to look out the window. "Besides, I will need to consider what to get Bell and Mom. Presents are important." Given that Dusty had been given one present that was not a gun and clutched it like the One Ring, that answer was not shocking. "What is the most favorite present you were given?"
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Sat May 12, 2012 12:33 am

"Okay then Mr. Navigator." said Darya, chuckling slightly. It was good to see Dusty enjoying himself.

"My favorite present?" she asked, thinking slightly. "I...honestly don't know. I got given an EMP rifle by my mentor...maybe that?" She sighed, and her face turned into a sad smile. "Although...given how we meet, maybe it was more he gave me the gift of being able to carry on. That's pretty special."

She turned her head to look at Dusty quickly. "You'd have liked him. He was a good man. I wish you could have met him."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sun May 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Dusty seemed interested, eye wide and moving closer to Darya. He was audibly pleased when called Mister Navigator, but those content emotions were put aside to listen to personal stories about Darya's life. "He sounds nice. I would have liked to meet him, too. What was he like..? And how did he give you a present?"

Dusty spoke slower, more quietly, to match his aunt's softer tone.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Sun May 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Darya laughed and sniffed. "Before I was an agent, I tried to keep me and my sister alive by bounty hunting on my own. I did...surprisingly well, considering I was only a kid....but one day I got in other my head. Tried to get a gang member, got caught. I don't know what they were planning to do with me, but..." Her voice tailed off. "Anyway, that's when Ernest entered. He was also after the gang, but he was a bit...higher level than me."

"You would have liked the way he took them down. Two machine guns, shooting them all the knees before knocking them out and dragging them away. He noticed me, and decided to take me under his wing. If he hadn't...sis would probably be dead, and I don't know what I'd be doing..."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Dusty was quiet for a moment, large green eye fixed on Darya's face. She was smiling, but she also seemed so sad. Death was sad, yes, and Darya had seen more of it that most. Again, Dusty lamented his lack of body. If he was big, real big, the distance between the two chairs wouldn't have stopped him. But now, the only way he could physically comfort his aunt was jumping her her lap.. And she wouldn't like that. He sighed a little, and struggled to think of a way to derail his aunt's train of thought. "I am very glad he helped you. I would have if I was there but, I am glad he did. Aim for the knees." Dusty's voice was warm. "Do you have a picture of him?"

He tapped his feet in his bag, and checked the PDA. No no, a few more miles yet.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Darya nodded. "I do, in my room. Might be a bit high for you to see. I'll show you next time we work together." She tapped her fingers on the wheel, before pulling out and over-taking a car.

"And I'm sure you would help anyone in need you see Dusty." She reached out and rubbed the top of his shell. "I've never doubted that."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

Dusty beamed, practically vibrating with affectionate pride. Life was worth protecting, and Darya's faith in him made him feel much higher than his one foot, nine inches. His mind turned back to presents, and he made thoughtful noises. Pinkie was technically family too. What did people like? Toys? Tangible objects? Electronics? There was food, too, and jewellery. Plants! Living plants. Hm.

He checked the PDA just in time to give Darya obvious and blatant directions to veer right.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Week 16: Darya and Dusty's Excellent Shanghai adventure (Guest Starring Pinkie) Empty TIME SKIP 1

Post  Darya Demeter Thu May 31, 2012 2:33 am

It was only an hour after the two had arrived in Shanghai proper, and so far Darya had parked and not actually left the van. Dusty was still in the front seat, and had been given instructions to stay quiet while Darya made a phone call.

She had sat in the back for a bit, talking to someone called "Paladin" about the recent cult situation in Shanghai, and asking about other cult hunters in the area. Through out the convestation, Darya had been incredibly polite and obviously respected the person an awful lot; although Dusty hadn't heard her when she spoke with CEO Lee, it was the same kind of tone of voice.

After a while she stuck her head back through the gap between the front seat. "Right Dusty, we have some leads!" She said excitedly, having made her goodbyes to Paladin. "Ready to go?"
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down