The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Week 14, Edged Weapons 101

2 posters

Go down

Friday Week 14, Edged Weapons 101 Empty Friday Week 14, Edged Weapons 101

Post  Pinkie Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:49 pm

*Pinkie walked through the garage and into the training room. She felt good to be home and not just because she had slipped, or more accurately outrun, that last group of guards. She ditched her jacket on the training room floor and began undoing the straps on her arms. Finally pulling the large metal disc from across her back Pinkie took the stairs two at a time and stashed it in her room. Having replaced it, she nodded once content with what she had learnt of its use and function then grabbed two gauntlet shields. One was her own and had finished recharging some time ago, the other she had bought for Cat but since Pinkie had yet to find a way for her pack to utilise them, I may as well get the use I can out of them, Pinkie remembered just in time to grab the recharge accelerator. Closing her door behind her, Pinkie headed downstairs at a more leisurely pace and stopped in front of the rig, her godaughter's room. Something about the thought struck a cord with Pinkie and she nodded at the rig as she approached.*

Bell? I would like to teach you how to use blades now. If you would like to then meet me in the training room.
.... I promise that I do know how the gauntlet works now and no matter how well you do I will not get hurt.

*A slight smile caught the edges of Pinkie's eyes more than her mouth, as the thought had occurred to her. Pinkie she began to strap the gauntlet's emitters to her elbows as she moved towards the training room.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Friday Week 14, Edged Weapons 101 Empty Re: Friday Week 14, Edged Weapons 101

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 pm

A minute later, Bell arrived at a walking pace into the training room from.. the garage. She was barefoot, though her feet were covered with pale powder. There were fresh scratches on her arms, though she pulled the sleeves of her hoodie down just as she walked in. Despite her bare feet, she was dressed otherwise for cool weather; a white hoodie with the old fashioned designs of circuitry, jeans, a pink T-shirt with a flower embroidered on the bottom. She looked at her godmother, a slightly questioning expression on her face, brows raised just enough to convey her emotion. "Knives? But I have not yet mastered unarmed combat..."
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Thu May 03, 2012 4:42 pm

*Pinkie raised one eyebrow as her godaughter entered. She supposed she had not seen Bell in training clothes before but she closely resembled the kind of freerunner you sometimes saw on the WDN. So long as she doesn't think the colthes will increase her performace. Well actually she is wearing the right things, so her movement isn't restricted at all.*

You do not need to hide minor cuts from me Bell. I would be in much worse shape without med-packs. *Pinkie sighed as she said it, thinking of all the damage her body had soaked up and not fallen apart from solely thanks to them.* Your apparel is good. And yes, knives. And swords, but we can start with knives if you wish. I have not mastered unarmed combat either Bell so I cannot teach you how to. If you wish to learn that, then I have nothing against it but in the meantime the... tactical advantage bladed weapons hold means that should you get into a fight, your opponent will use them against you. And you will need to know how to use them to defend yourself or else you will not be able to. So, strap a shield to your elbows and we will start, I will do my best so that you do not have to use it, and you will be striking at me first, but our goal today is for you to learn how to block incoming weapons, so.

*Pinkie unstrapped her ossi knife and, making sure the replicant was ready, tossed it to her godaughter. She regarded the button in her hand which would activate the shield and thought of the ways in which Bell was likely to try and strike going through the blocking motions in her head one by one. Pinkie kept one eye on Bell monitoring her reaction.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 pm

The little replicant nodded once to Pinkie's comment on medpack, watching. She looked slightly hesitant at the word 'sword'; her only experience with them had been watching Ida and Syl fight. Bell caught the knife clumsily, keeping it inside its sheath and placing it daintily in her pocket. As instructed, she obediently went about attaching the shield, moving slowly in tell tale way of her mimicking something she had seen by not done herself. After double checking the shield, she regarded the knife. It took her a moment to fish it out, and she held it like a cooking implement. She turned to Pinkie, looking unsure still. She adopted her fighting stance, doing her best to mimic her godmother. "I am not sure.. I am fully understanding this correctly. I am.. not sure how to start."
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 pm

*Hmmm, her godaughter was right Pinkie had not demonstrated at all, and Bell could not be expected to strike with any kind of precision. Looking around the room, Pinkie noticed the half destroyed punching bag and motioned to Bell to follow her over. Pinkie waited until she was sure she had Bell's attention and then drew her own ossi knife, stabbing the punching bag in two swift motions. One up and across the hypothetical throat of someone a little shorter than her and the second up, just under where the rib cage would be on the same person. She then landed a further three blows in short succession; one across, one down at the bottom and up, as though ham stringing an opponent and finally Pinkie drove the dagger into the opposite side of the puching bag, having twirled around it as fast as she could, straight into the base of the hypothetical skull.

((OOC, are at least she tries to demonstrate, she fails the first and most important manoevour the throat slash, by 2. succeed by 6 for the second. succeed by 8, 1 and 5 for the other strikes))

As Pinkie's spin came to a stop the knife vanished as quickly as it had appeared and she turned to face Bell once again. Pinkie tilted her head and tried to assess the little replicants reaction to her... display.*

Any questions?
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Bell's eyes widened as she watched Pinkie eviscerate the hapless punching bag. Bell herself had damaged it, but it was strange to watch it get so destroyed, especially when she knew it was meant to be a person. She had checked; the practice blows were done while focusing on technique and destroying a fictional opponent. There was no one she wished to destroy, and had always used the foes Pinkie provided.. But the discomfort was plain on her face as Pinkie had murdered whomever she imagined she was fighting. Bell had dropped out of combat stance without knowing it, eyes dark and focused on Pinkie from across the room. She looked at the knife in her hands. Her fingers slowly changed grip, mimicking her godmother's.

When her gaze moved back to Pinkie, she still looked unsure. The last stab had been.. aggressive. "Learning how to fight with a knife will make it easier to defend against such attacks in the future? ... The shield is fully functional and you are aware on its uses this time?"
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Tue May 08, 2012 2:50 am

Yes and yes. If you cannot fight with a weapon then unless you do master unarmed combat you cannot defend yourself from one. And yes, I have the shield well in hand.

*Pinkie moved at a measured pace over to Bell, stopping half a metre in front of her. She was not in a combat pose but she did seem very aware and ready. Pinkie examined the little replicants face, her godaughter seemed ill at ease with even the idea of taking a life. It had been a part of what Pinkie was for so long and so unquestionably that she had almost forgotten it troubled people. Darya... scared her, but Pinkie had seen her advocate more than lethal force against certain foes, and administer it as well. We are agents, it is in our nature. It is one of few things I have agreed with Ida on, no matter how out of it I was when I overheard her. Bell's nature, a Muse's must start off very differently, and I do not see Dusty taking a life.... not before losing someone he was meant to protect. There is a slightly sad look on Pinkie's face as she thinks this. She was not an assassin, but she had worked hard towards becoming one and would continue to do so. She resolved to have a talk with Sosie's son and see what he made of certain problems. Shaking her head slightly Pinkie brought herself back to the training room. Now, as for you Bell, this may seem cruel, but it is better you find out here and now then when you are fighting someone for your life. The fact that Bell would have to do so was unquestionable to Pinkie but not because Bell was a replicant, because that is what it means to live. To survive. Of course, anything you can do to ensure that you do... Only a fool would do less*

You should be able to make three strong hits with that knife as I demonstrated, a slightly more accurate strike followed by another or one very accurate attack. The implement gives you an edge though, with which to cut, so you do not have to divide your strength. Cutting you opponents legs if you can, is a good tactic as before because doing so will impair their ability to harm you in return but any blow you make will be a threat to your opponent. Especially cybernetic legs. Now unless you have anymore questions.... I want you to attack.

*Pinkie made no move to retrieve her Ossi knife, where-ever it had gone and nor where there any other visible weapons nearby with which Pinkie could parry. Pinkie had taken pains to ensure Bell knew she could not block one of Bell's slashes without a weapon, yet Pinkie's expression was normal, unconcerned. And yes Bell, this is a test.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Tue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Testing was not something Bell had considered... And having been assured that Pinkie would not allow herself to be injured again, the little replicant nodded and twisted the knife in her hand to get a better grip on it. She took the combat fighting stance, and after only a brief pause, attacked. She mimicked Pinkie's motions and lunged at her. (Passing her close combat roll by 8.) She followed through with the accurate attack first, and then carried one with the two less powerful attacks. (Pass by five for the first, and get on the nose for the second.) Her brows were knit in concentration and.. slight concern?, watching her godmother's movements with a dark, deep stare. She had no idea about Pinkie's inability to block without a blade of her own.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm

*Pinkie did not waste time activating her shield, her godaughter had struck out without hesitation having placed the blow well. That is well, and it with serve her well in the field. Instead Pinkie's claws came out, without a moment to spare, otherwise Bell's first strike would have buried the knife in Pinkie's hand as she moved to parry. Pinkie was impressed with her godaughter. She turned aside her other blows deftly and completely dissipated the momentum behind the last one. Pinkie stepped to the side and spun ending up behind Bell in short order..*

I really hope you have been remembering to activate that shield Bell. Because while you have learnt to strike well, that is the basis from which you work out how to block. And I'm afraid blocking with that knife is a little different from blocking with claws. Let me know when you are ready, and we'll begin.

*Pinkie took a step back and waited for her godaughter's reply. She was aware that things might be moving too fast for Bell, but she was sure of her the little watcher's eyes. And that is how combat is, short, dangerous and confusing. Making her expect any less would be a disservice.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Bell turned quickly, feet moving in a hurried circle, clumsily. She was visibly shaken by the sudden appearance of Pinkie's claws--having never seen them before--and couldn't help but notice Pinkie's shield had not been activated. She took a small step back, still holding her knife in front of her, eyes wide and watching her godmother. The replicant did not need to breathe, but she was panting slightly. Her posture was a little low, slightly defensive. "Am I to practice blocking now?" Her fingers double checked for the button that activated the shield.

Her grip redoubled on the knife. Pinkie moved fast, and while she didn't believe her godmother would hurt her, the attack on the bag and the sudden appearance of claws made her feel.. something she had not felt before. Unbeknownst to her, Bell's hands were shaking slightly.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 am

...That is the overall aim and what we will be doing next. Bell, are you alright to continue? *Pinkie's eyes narrowed slightly* Your hands are shaking.... do you know why?

*Pinkie took another step back after making these observations, to show Bell that there was no present need for combat readiness and tried to extract her godaughters feelings from what little facial expression she could discern. The expression on Pinkie's own face was somewhere between concern and cautiousness. I can never tell if I have pushed too much with Bell. She regarded her claws and seemed to think she had finally put two and two together. Holding up one of her claws in front of her face Pinkie spoke again.*

This was a demonstration, nothing more.... I suppose it was a little unfair of me but that is how it will be in the field. Never assume your opponent is without a weapon, if they are small they can be concealed with ease and often pass through scans. Especially things like the knife you are holding, which is made to resemble a bone when scanned, or in built weapons although those ones which are powered are more noticeable. Do not underestimate how quickly they can be brought to bear from a well concealed location. Anyone who has put time and effort into concealing a weapon will know how to use it well.
..... Do not feel bad Bell, if I ever run out of tricks to use against my opponents it will be the end of me, this must all still be pretty new to you. My life has depended on having one more trick than the other person too many times to recall. And surprise is my favourite trick.

*Pinkie observed the little replicant once again wondering what was passing through her brain, Pinkie would feel bad about this for some time to come but again it is a thing she is far better off learning here. There are many worse things to come across without warning as well. and at that thought Pinkie could not suppress a shudder as she remembered moving into one of the corridors of a crossroad only for screaming, jawless, assassins to run at her screaming. Murder their only intent All other functions and capabilities stripped away, reduced to fire an forget footsoldiers, probably of those they had fought.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Bell stepped back a little, out of defensive position, and looked down at her trembling hand with wide eyes. She hadn't noticed she was shaking. Her brow furrowed, and she loosened her grip on the knife. She looked down at her hands. Her godmother asked her if she knew why her hands were shaking, and to that she only shook her head no, unwilling to move her eyes.

Pinkie kept talking, and Bell listened intently, though her eyes were still looking hard her hand. She concentrated on her fingers, and found that she could force them to stop trembling. Good. Better. She looked up at her godmother, face expressionless except for some slight determination about her brows. After a moment's pause, she said, "But I have no tricks, Pinkie." In fact, it seemed impossible to think of a time she has surprised someone else.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm

You have more tricks than you realise Bell, part of it is thinking of them. New things to do with what you already have. You control all the electrical functions of Seoul Waste Away save for the turrets, Bell. There is a lot you could do with that. And not having many currently is part of why I am sharing some of mine with you. There is a way of thinking of them.... of things that your opponent will not or can not do or is entirely unable to think of, those ones tend to be the most effective.

*A strange look crossed Pinkie's face as she finished and for a moment her hands unfurled and seemed to grasp the handles of weapons, Pinkie showed no sign of being aware of it. Then her eyes slowly closed and remained shut for a moment before she stepped forwards and the claws retracted into her hands. Pinkie's eyes suddenly opened and her face split into a grin.*

Speaking of which I just had one. To make this easier for you to learn I shall activate my shield and strike at you with my hands only. I will then not be damaged when you block with the knife. That way you get an idea of how to block with a bladed implement without having to worry too much. We can move on to blocking actual daggers, and then on to swords afterwards. How does that sound?
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 pm

The mention of controlling the building gave Bell a strong desire to check the cameras, and she gave Pinkie a quick glance up and down before her pupils disappeared in the glow of her eyes. Pinkie had been training with her for weeks about close combat, but she had never once considered using the compound, her other body, to her advantage. It made her thoughtful. Pinkie had never once brought this up before. Assured that everything was safe outside, Bell focused back on her body, her eyes darkening and coming back into focus.

Swords? She looked at her godmother and nodded silently. She readjusted her grip on the knife. "I would prefer to learn to block your hands first, before going on to the knives." Was there a tiny timbre of worry in her voice? Of relief? It was almost imperceptible, whatever it was.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Mon May 14, 2012 11:57 am

Aright let's get start- *Pinkie blinked once, her manic smile disappeared and a frown formed on her face as the pieces clicked together* ...No. Wait, what am I doing? A moment.

*Pinkie took a literal step back and took stock of her surroundings. Bell; hesitant, shaking hands, nervous? Why would she be? The punching bag; perforated, rapidly spilling its last on the floor. Bell stopped when she realised she had bruised you! Pinkie reappraised her godaughter with surprise, and perhaps concern, plain on her face. I asked her, every time I asked her, so why? Head titled at an angle and a pensive expression on her face Pinkie sat down and met Bell's eyes as she spoke*

....Okay. It is clear that you do not want to do this, here and now with me, Bell. So.... Why did you not say anything about it? I made certain to ask you every time whether or not this was a problem.... *Pinkie's eyes narrowed* I am not the best at picking up on distress but you are not okay with this, that much is clear. So why did you not SAY something?

*Pinkie bit down hard as the penultimate word came out with much more volume and force than she had intended. The little replicant was worried enough as it was, She doesn't need you adding to that, oh wait you caused all of it, and Pinkie did not know how to make that right, only that Bell was not the only one struggling against a situation she did not want to be in. How did even you manage to make this So wrong?*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Tue May 15, 2012 1:00 am

Bell looked from the now sitting Pinkie to the knife in her hands, to her stance, her feet, the button for the shield. She looked.. slightly puzzled. HAD she wanted to do this? Bell had never once stopped to give thought her own emotions. In fact, it was hard to believe she had any. Still, there was some.. hesitation to her thoughts when she thought about engaging in fighting. She looked at the knife again, and then sat where she stood, to join Pinkie on the floor. She put the knife beside her, and keeping eye contact with her godmother, tried to think.

After a handful of minutes in silence, with Bell's face almost completely expressionless but for a tiny amount of confusion, she nodded once. "I have not considered that my own emotions might play part. I do what is asked of me." She paused again, trying to find words. "I did not know I should say something. Or that I could say something. I had not analysed my thoughts on the matter." Another paused. She looked back down at the knife. "I am not yet used to violence. I find it.. ..frightening." The last word came out almost distastefully, hesitantly, as if she was a little ashamed. "And I feel uncomfortable about being.. ..uncomfortable... But I did not know I felt this way until asked."

Bell continued looked at Pinkie, brows raising a little as if she was wondering if she said the right thing.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Sun May 20, 2012 10:42 pm

*After a slight pause Pinkie nodded. If she had ever had such feelings she had long ago discarded them. She rarely had to consider her emotions, only suppress or cut them off, they were more than adequate at making themselves heard in the first place. That Bell had to spend time reflecting to fully realise how she felt.... fit in with what Pinkie had been instructed about A.I. development. Pinkie began to drum a beat into her thigh as she thought. I suppose that I have developed my style of fighting to be... frightening for those times where I have no choice about my opponent seeing me. Pinkie frowned but cleared her expression upon seeing the hesitation mixed with query upon Bell's face.*

Your feelings will always affect you. There is no changing that. You must either compromise with them or..... follow them completely. Rely on your instincts, your feelings Bell. They will often lead you to notice things you had not before and that includes fear. Just remember to never let them overwhelm you. Balance your emotions with what you need to achieve in a situation and in that balance you will know what you need to do. And violence is not something you get used to Bell. If you are ever not..... affected by it, then it means you have become complacent and no one is complacent for long. Do not allow that to happen to you. There is no need to be ashamed or fearful of fear Bell, it is a reaction that is there for your protection, just never allow it to overwhelm you. It is a part of you; it is not in control of you. No one is. Not ever. Do not let me talk you into doing something you do not want to again Bell and yes that does mean considering how you feel about something prior to doing it.
…..
I just gave you a truly ridiculous amount of instruction's did I not? *Here Pinkie covers her head with her hand* Please consider anything that I, or for that matter anyone else, says to you in a manner that does not.... include your consideration to be both or either a request or advise for your consideration. And yes that does include this. Okay I think I have dug myself in deeply enough here. Let me know if or when you feel like continuing with the exercise at a much more... calm and straightforward manner. If you were to, you would be striking again and would learn defence by watching me block. I realise I made this harder for you than it had to be Bell and for that I am sorry.

*Pinkie stood and observed her godaughter, but did not arm herself or go into a combat stance. She seemed to be waiting on the little replicant to voice her thoughts on the matter.*

Last edited by Pinkie on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat May 26, 2012 2:17 am

Bell blinked a few times as Pinkie talked. And instructed. And advised. And suggested. And commanded. And talked more. Bell tried to absorb all the information she could, but a lot of the more.. emotional.. details didn't really seem to compute. She tried to consider considering before acting. It wasn't hard to weigh the pros and cons, but the idea that she could have emotions without knowing them instantly troubled her. Apparently this was something that humans also dealt with? Though she was somewhat reassured that violence was something she wasn't intended to get used to.

Again, though, her godmother was apologizing, and she did not understand why. She had observed Pinkie closely--under increasingly strict guidelines from her mother, she recalled--and didn't believe she would intentionally try to make Bell's life harder. She seemed to.. care about her. Bell let the confused look on her face dissipate, though she looked.. somewhat worried still. "I.. know you would never try to purposefully make anything harder for me, unless you believed it would make it easier for me later. I understand perfecting techniques takes time and effort, and is not easy." She took a breath. There was a weird feeling in the core of her body. "However, I do not have the capacities to analyse my own emotions. I will not be ready to resume training until I have given it some.. consideration."
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:05 pm

*Pinkie pinched the bridge of her nose. She did not think she was making much sense and her presentation of her ideas to Bell was.... haphazard at best. She would make this up to Bell, she just was not sure how. Pinkie listened to Bell's words and studied the little replicants face as she spoke. She nodded to time and effort, recalling how long it had taken her to even be able to lift a flamethrower let alone to stop setting herself on fire with one. ....No, that's not- a thing you can do. Is it? ..... Of course you feel things for a reason, but what does that matter when you can not control it!? Pinkie put her head in her hands so that Bell would not see her face. After a moment the highly cyberised agent lifted her head and nodded to Bell. Her expression was.... a little longer than normal but was not otherwise different.*

Yes. I have been informed that sometimes it can help to.... talk about how you feel. Just be careful who you talk to. I-I..... I will let you alone to consider.....
I will see you later Bell.

*After a brief moment Pinkie nodded to Bell, the smallest of nods, and turned around. She walked out of the room at a steady pace fighting the impulse to fade and keeping her face calm. It would not matter if she was invisible, Bell would still see if she cracked.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down