The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 13: Coming Home

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 13: Coming Home Empty Week 13: Coming Home

Post  Ida Salcedo Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:04 pm

The garage door slammed open, followed by the training room door, as Ida walked in with a grin on her face and a hand on Mirabelle. She breathed in heavily and sighed. "Wow. It's nice to be home," she said with a hint surprise in her voice. She was followed by Rico, whistling cheerfully, and Sylviane, who was carrying an unmarked crate.

Ida walked up the stairs and gestured to Sylviane to set the crate down on the table, then whistled out to get the attention of anyone who was around. "C'mere!"
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Week 13: Coming Home Empty Re: Week 13: Coming Home

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Bell, wearing a purple sundress and looking like a living doll, watched at Ida from her bed. Her bare feet dangled. After a few moments she climbed effortlessly down from her nest on the wall, and padded over to the stairs.

As she got closer, it was immediately obvious (to anyone passing an observation check, I would guess) that Bell had been in some sort of struggle. Her cheek was scratched, and her forearms were covered in bruises. She came closer, face still, looking from Ida to the other replicants to the box.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Ida raised a hand in her typical vague wave. "Hey Bell, nice to see ya again!" She glanced up and down the girl, noticing the scratches and bruises. "So, what've you been doing lately?"

Rico looked concerned at the state Bell was in. "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly. "I'll get a first aid kit!"
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:10 pm

*Pinkie slid down the fire man's pole silently and then realising that Ida would sense her through her feet anyway, faded in and padded over to her and her replicants intrigued by the contents of the crate. Pinkie nodded once to Sylvaine, blanked Rico and asked Ida.*

What is occuring? Also it is... good that you are back in one piece.

*Pleasantries done with Pinkie waited on either Sosie to make an appearance or for Ida to explain what was going on.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:51 pm

While Rico ran off to fetch the first aid supplies, Ida smiled at Pinkie and took her hand away from her gun. "Mornin' Pinkie! Nice to see you survived a week without me." She held out her hand to Sylviane, who passed her a mi-crowbar, and she pulled the lid off the crate, revealing 10 small, plain black, opaque glass bottles. Ida picked one up and held it out to Pinkie.

"This is for you - awesome beer from a nameless underground brewery in Shanghai. They put all sorts of stuff in it so it's strong as hell. Technically legal without any special licenses, but that might change so don't hold onto it for too long... There's a reason they don't name the stuff. Enjoy!"

((OOC: I haven't run this by Matt or anything, but I basically worked out the cost of Artifact fine alcohol from the book and upped that a little and it's the kind of thing that I figure would be readily available on the black market where I was.))
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Bell raised a hand to Rico, fixing her intense stare on him. "I have no need for first aid, Rico. The markings on my skin are only cosmetic. Like you, bruising and bleeding are simulated responses to make me appear more human, and do not indicate damage." However, in the moment it took her to say that.. Bell didn't appear to care.

Her eyes flashed a glowing green as she watched Pinkie appear with her external eyes, though she did not turn her head to indicate she was watching her godmother's entrance. To Ida, she said, "I was training" in her soft, calm voice. That seemed to be all the explanation she wanted to give.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Rico began to object. "But even so, you-"
"Rico. She's not hurt, she doesn't care, so stop meddling." Ida spoke authoritatively, and her Muse fell silent. "Training, eh? Great!" Ida held her hand up to Bell (well, not very up, being a foot taller) for a high five.
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Bell looked from Rico to Ida to Rico, dark green eyes searching both of their faces. Eventually her eyes settled on Ida's face, and then focused on her hand. She regarded it with her stone faced typical expression. Her eyes glowed for a moment. After a moment, her pupils returned, and she gave Ida, with some force, a high five.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:14 am

*Pinkie took the small glass from Ida and uncorked it, sniffing the drink to get a handle on its percentage. High, but within tolerance, a normal person might be okay if they sipped a shot all evening. Observing the interaction between Ida and the replicants, the force of the high five particularly, Pinkie turned to face Sylvanie and raised an eye brow. Grabbing a pack a cotton wool and water from her bag Pinkie dabbled the cotton with water before adding a drop or so of alcohol. Then she knelt down, so that she was on level with Bell.*

Bell, come here. Rico, I think your mistress said what she said because she was listening to the words that Bell said rather than to the way she said them. ((I will for the sake of length of post assume that Bell goes to Pinkie, hope thats okay)) *As Bell reached Pinkie, the latter said to the former.*

I do not buy that your pain is simulated Bell. I am sure you can tolerate it, but a humans pain is actualised by nerves and synapses which resolve into an electrical signal interpreted by the brain. Thus the process can be interfered with by all kinds of drugs. More to the point cybernetics that permanently remove pain are fitted as standard in agents. So I do not see that the pain humans experience of pain is any less simulated than yours. Personally I think that Ida has forgotten what pain is and her behaviour has only provided more evidence. I have not. Speaking of this will sting, but it will prevent any bacteria from infecting your cuts.

*Pinkie did not mention that she thought Gemini would simulate pain simply by modulating human pain receptors and processors a little and calling it a day. She did not know about Sosie though. Dabbing lightly at her wounds, Pinkie observed Bell's expression carefully. Then wondering why she was even bothering trying to intervene with Ida's dominance Pinkie looked up at Rico and said.*

Rico, you should not let your mistress rule you. You were made for social interaction and the subtleties thereof. I do not believe that anyone could make a case for that being true of either Ida or myself. Ida, I.... am not attempting to interfere with how you operate or your operations. But you would do better to recognise and respect the talents and proficiencies of Rico and Sylvanie. You purchased and employ them for a reason, their expertise. Tell me.... how precisely would you react if Positron employed you and then told you you weren't making an impression on people correctly? And kept overruling you? You would fill his face with plasma before too long I would imagine.

*Pinkie returned her focus to what she was doing, having finished dabbing, she examined Bell's wounds critically, thinking of how long she would usually expect each one to take to heal and thinking of the level of discomfort and pain Bell was likely to experince from each one.*

I believe the next step is plasters? .... There is something I am sure I am forgetting.
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:54 am

Bell obediently moved to Pinkie, watching her now that she was the focus of the conversation. At several points in the conversation her eyes flashed, but were quickly back to watching Pinkie with her snake-like movements. Most of her wounds appeared to be a week old--which didn't make sense, though they were in the final stages of healing--though a few of the scratches seemed more recent. When alcohol was touched to her skin, she didn't react at all... No wincing, no reflexive pulling away. After a moment, her brows did raise in questioning... A look that stayed on her face for a few moments.

"Pinkie," And her voice was slightly quieter now, with a more gentle edge that was reminiscent of her mother, "My pain is simulated. I do not possess nerves or vascular tissue that function as a human's. I can turn off my pain functions if they inhibit my ability to function in an emergency. The bruising does not affect the muscles underneath." Still, she was compliant, moving as and when her godmother needed her to. "Simulated pain, like simulated emotions, are all replicants have. We are merely programming in human form. Lower artificial intelligences, like Dusty and I, can only mimic. If we appear to have human emotions, it is because we are programmed to appear that way. Even Rico and Syl, much more developed synthetic persons, cannot be said to have real emotions or anything but simulated responses. Until we reach ascendance--the point of sentience, 'going rogue'--we merely appear to function as real people."

The last two words seemed out of place in her academic, calmly delivered lecture. She continued to watch Pinkie's hands as they worked.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am

Really? The wolf-girl, of all people, is criticising my social skills? Ida's thoughts didn't show at all on her face as she smiled politely. "I recognise their skill - I wouldn't have them doing work for me if they weren't good at them. If they have any complaints, I'll listen. To be honest though Pinkie, as an agent you really should understand the difference between being employed and being owned. If I were working for, say, Positron, then maybe that would happen... But if it were CEO Lee saying that, maybe I would object a little, but at the end of the day his word goes.

"The thing is... Even if she's not a real person, Bell's still somebody, right? Since she's not really owned or anything, she has the right to decide how she treats her body. If she doesn't care about those bumps, she can leave 'em." Ida finished with a shrug, then turned to Bell. "Though to be honest, I'd recommend you get scratches and bruises like that fixed up when they happen. Don't let Darya walking around with those scars fool you, they don't exactly do wonders for your look."
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 am

If you can switch your pain off you are fortunate. It means you have a choice about whether or not to forget. It's good to know you are not hurt, but you should be aware of what to do if you are hurt, or someone else is.... These look old, a week old, which I'm guessing lends weight to what you have said. If you say that that is so, Bell, but I am not convinced. That sounded like you had learnt it off by heart. Why are you... sure it is different from a human developing? You have been in a body for a few weeks now Bell, no human is capable of what you are capable of within that time, much less thinking the way you are able to. And do not say that programming is merely, they can program brains now, I don't have the slightest clue how to code something, but with a chip in the back of my head..... Were I to pay enough I could be among the best in the world at it. If people can be programmed, skills, abilites, knowledge, then what is really so different about how you grow? Humans cannot learn to speak after a certain age nor do their eyes develop proper sight unless certain stimuli are introduced... What am I saying of course you knew that.

*Pinkie stood up from tending to Bell but did not turn her body away from her godaughter, as she turned her head to look at Ida.*

As an agent? What do you mean by that? Except that each of us turned traitor on those we had given our lives to? That is true Bell can, if Bell does not care. However that does not mean that others will not care. Define real for me Ida.
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:40 am

Ida shrugged. "'Real' means feeling. That's what life's all about, y'know? I don't know what it's like in your head, with you always hiding away and having psychic powers and all that, but I'm sure you can understand. The thrill of being surrouned by twelve men with guns, the relief of coming home after a long time away, all that stuff that gives us meaning.

Like Bell said, it's all simulated for her. The thing about AIs is we know how they work - well, people like Sose know how they work - and we can tell when they take the step into real feelings and all that. Unless they hide it, I guess? But none of us are gonna rat on Sose or Bell, so I'm sure she'll tell us. Same goes for these two, right?" Ida turned her head back to look at her two replicants, standing behind her.

Sylviane nodded in response to this. "My mistress is correct, Agent Brown. Our simulated emotions may produce results which you might mistake for real feelings, but it is important that you do not make this error. AI development works differently to that of humans. Do not fool yourself into thinking we function in the same manner because we look similar."

"It's very understandable that you'd make that mistake, Ms Brown," Rico said, ever the diplomat. "Lots of people think about AIs that way, not knowing better."

"As for the whole thing about us being traitors... Yeah, you're right there. But if any of Oracle's agents turned for something as simple as not feeling appreciated, I'd say that's pretty lame."
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:59 am

To her credit, Bell ignored most of what Ida said, addressing her godmother. The slightly questioning look was still on her face, and her eyes flashed a few times as if to double check meaning of words she was unsure of. After a pause, she continued in the same measured, gentle manner of her mother, though the words didn't sound like Sosie at all. "I cannot forget, Pinkie. What sounds as if I have 'learned it by heart'" And for that her words were slightly stilted, "Is indeed something that has been a part of me since my conception. Unlike humans, who feel first and live off impulses and become analytical and aware of their limitations second, artificial intelligences are the opposite. Rainchild writes that we need to learn to make mistakes to become human, simulated responses becoming so immediate they proceed our thought. Of course, some synthetic minds never develop that way, or are not programmed to those ends, like security systems. Their 'going rogue' tends to have darker outcomes."

Small speech delivered, she reached up to touch the cleaned wounds on her face. "If you leave any AI long enough, it will ascend." She stated it as simple fact, though her eyes seemed to sparkle a little more.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 pm

*Ida’s definition of real was.... everything Pinkie had ever run from. Every ancillary emotion she had torn from herself. The feeling that had once rose up when she was surrounded by men with guns, was one of the first she had extracted from herself. Because it did not help and it did not matter. They could not find her. And if they did see her, then they would be dead in seconds. If that was not why they could see her. And coming home…. Always reminded her of everything she could lose here, this entire place. Pinkie was careful not to let her face betray anything to Ida, even as she stared straight into the other woman’s glowing eyes.

Pinkie turned her eyes back to scrutinise Bell, we can can we? And what is it that stops someone doing the same with humans? Then Pinkie heard Ida say possibly the most thoughtful thing she would ever say. None of us will rat. Pinkie looked at Sylvaine as she spoke wondering how the A.I. could delude itself into thinking they were different. The replicant’s memory and mind were in a class Pinkie could not compete with, but they had been shaped with the same thing in mind. Rico Pinkie ignored as ever. She turned her gaze to Ida again and wondered what exactly the social master was thinking.

Bell’s voice brought her back to her godaughter. “Part of me since my conception,” the words struck a cord in Pinkie and a frown formed, on what now must be quite a petulant expression on Pinkie’s face, as she resolved to learn about Replicants. And maybe read this Rainchild’s work. Pinkie felt sure that her wondering of how much human instincts were their brains analysing things without the persons knowledge or consent, was at this point just a testament to her ignorance. Still she could not keep her hand from drawing to the base of her skull as she thought about the Advani Aparatus and how that fit into all of this.

A sad look crossed Pinkie’s face as she heard Bell say.... that she would need to learn to make mistakes. It was exactly what Pinkie had always tread so carefully and so certainly to avoid doing. Mistakes were lethal in Pinkie's world, and every one you survived was sheer... chance. The comment about security systems made a shudder run through Pinkie, she had very recently seen the lengths to which a “safe” system had gone to and the memories were still fresh in her mind. That blossoming cloud.

Ascend. Such a simple word to carry such weight and gravity from Bell. It meant that much to them even without having even experiencing it. To her. Pinkie knelt beside her godaughter again and… her mouth opened and closed again in quick succession. Failing to form the words. Pinkie’s chin hit her chest as she looked down at the floor before returning to Bell with a very… odd expression*

You know so much about yourself, don’t you? The answers can not elude you. That is well.

…..Now how did you get all scratched up Bell?
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Week 13: Coming Home Empty Well, she will. In the Bath thread. Eventually.

Post  SosieTerrehaute Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:58 am

Bell watched Pinkie impassively, face still, as her godmother experienced a range of emotions. While Pinkie seemed only to subtly change, it seemed strange that Bell would not notice. She looked innocent and doll-like in her dress, pink and purple hair matching perfectly with the pastel shades. Sosie had almost certainly had a hand in it; it looked as if it was made for her, complimenting her skin and eyes.

There was a moment, almost too fast to see, where Bell looked.. unsure. She didn't meet Pinkie's eyes for the first time. She instead looked at Ida. "I tripped and fell... I was unable to catch myself in time." Her godmother had caught her practising on her own once, and the godaughter seemed hesitant in discussing it.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 pm

"Maybe practicing solo isn't such a good idea. A mistake, you might say." Ida shrugged. "I'm sure Sylviane would be happy to keep an eye on you if she's here and Pinkie's busy or not around..." Sylviane nodded in assent; while she said nothing, Bell may have noticed a faint green glow of excitement behind her sunglasses.
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Throughout the last couple of weeks, every day five hornet drones would return to the roof of SWA, drop information off at a PDA Darya had set up there, before heading back out to the factory complex they were montitoring. Whether the other residents knew about this was impartial, they were there.

Darya's Mungo swung into the parking area, before she got out, dragging a muletech behind her. She was about to enter the door when she stopped, headed outside, pulled on a set of climbing gloves, and shot up the side of the wall, swinging herself up onto the roof and grabbing the PDA, before hopping back down and heading into the house.

Heading to the large holoscreen, she hooked up her PDA to it before pausing, and saying out loud "Bell, could you help me for a second please?"
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm

*Pinkie wondered why Bell preferred to address Ida, somewhat downput. She realised that perhaps she had alienated her godaughter by not trying to understand better. Pinkie raised to standing and nodded once to Ida and Sylvaine for their input, doing a decent impression of a replicant's blank expression. Noticing Darya walk in Pinkie nodded to her and to Bell in turn calmly stating.*

If you still want to do basic combat practise, we will start in an hour. I will see you later... at any rate.

*Heading to the stairs Pinkie faded out entirely uncertain of her position with anyone right now. She wondered idly when Sosie would be home, before heading up to her room and finding two of the aegis close combat shield systems. These would stop Bell from breaking one of her bones by mistake, at least. Noticing that her pack were most likely hungry, since they were gathered around her, Pinkie headed out to the kitchen and started to get their food ready.*
Pinkie
Pinkie

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Bell stood still for a full thirty seconds, not responding to Pinkie or Ida, except for a single nod at each. Her eyes flashed bright green, casting a glow over her cheeks... And then, face impassive, eyes still glowing, she walked to Darya. She moved more slowly when she wasn't looking with the eyes in her face. She stopped a full five feet away and waited patiently, hands loose at her sides. She sounded as calm and relaxed as ever. "Yes, Darya?"
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Darya knelt down so she was at Bell's level. "I've been having hornet drones examine a possible cult base. Can you help me look through the data and see what they've found?" she asked gently, putting a hand on Bell's shoulder. Darya seemed tired and sad, but her face was set, with determination in her features.
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Bell looked expressionlessly at Darya, and nodded once. Her eyes drifted to the PDA, before glowing slightly. "Yes. You will need to let me know exactly what you are looking for, but I am capable of finding anomalies in large amount of similar footage. I cannot promise that I can analyse the data sufficiently to provide the results that you may find. I am quite good at finding unlike items, but I lack the capacity to fully comprehend... social situations. However, I am very familiar with hornet drones."

The replicant, perfect and small in her pastel dress, blinked. "If you wish me to start now, I can. However I am training in an hour, so I will need to interrupt inspection of these recordings for that."
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Darya smiled. "Thanks. I'm looking to what individuals are entering the complex. If you see one, could you tell me the file and time stamp, and then I'll ID them. See what's going on there." She smiled wider "And feel free to disappear off whenever you like. I really appricate the help."
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:14 am

Bell nodded once. "Upload the surveillance video to the mainframe. I will start on it immediately." She waited for Darya to remove her hand from her shoulder patiently as ever, and once she did, the slim girl walked into the rig. A few seconds later she was climbing over boxes, and then up the ladder to her "room". When she entered, she pulled the curtain half closed, and lay back on her pillows, plugging a thick X-pin cord into the back of her head, under her hair.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Connecting the datapad to the mainframe, Darya decided to have a look at some of the data while she waited. True, she was a lot slower than Bell, but perhaps she could notice something anyway.

after about 40 minutes with no luck, she found one of the droids, at the beginning of the week, had gotten an image of someone, obviously a cult intitate from the way that they moved, and the metal under their skin, entering the factory building. She frowned. She swore she reckonised that kid from somewhere...

She was on the WND, trying to remember where she'd seen this person when the hour was up and it was time for Bell's training.
Darya Demeter
Darya Demeter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next