The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 54: Airborn Insertion Training.

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Week 54: Airborn Insertion Training. - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 54: Airborn Insertion Training.

Post  Coraline Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 am

"..."

*Coraline looked away from Ace after hearing his story and wondered what she could possibly begin to say. She didn't know the man nearly well enough to know what kind of condolence would be acceptable, much less might actually be of any use. He hadn't mentioned them because he lost them all. The plague doctor had instinctively covered her mouth with her hand and only now put it down to meet her other in her lap. After talking a deep breath Coraline spoke.*

"Ace, sweetheart, that's -that's the worst. I'm so, ever so sorry. That they would do that to you.... That she would do that, it just seems so, so pointless." The ex V.K. agent shook her head. "For, for what little it may be worth; I'm glad you survived Ace. I can't speak for the friends you lost but if they don't agree, then they'd be damn fools for it. Ace.... I-" Coraline stopped as the 'copter began to slow and Ace spoke.

"Ah, uh and were is 'here' exactly, Ace my dear?" The warm tenderness was gone from Coraline's voice now, replaced by slight trepidation.
Coraline
Coraline

Back to top Go down

Week 54: Airborn Insertion Training. - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 54: Airborn Insertion Training.

Post  Ace Nizky Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am

Looking out of the 'copter it was difficult to differentiate this patch of barren earth from any other. Behind them was the city with the spire towering over it, hidden only by the helicopter in the way. Around them was a rocky expanse of nothing. Directly below them a relatively clear patch seemed like a much better landing spot for someone who might not be quite proficient in what they were about to do.

Ace let go of the controls and yet the 'copter stayed perfectly level, as if an unseen hand were piloting the complex flying machine. Ace left the cockpit and entered the back, into the large section where Agents would sit awaiting deployment, or after being extracted enjoying the thrill of a mission that was nearly over. He turned back to the cockpit, and to Coraline.

"Don't be sorry. You didn't do anything wrong. Thanks for the condolences though. I'm glad I lived too. I wouldn't usually share a story like that, it's not your burden to bear, but.. well. You did ask."
Ace took a deep breath and let it out slowly, the few bits of meditative training he'd had from the Order and Pavarti helping to bring what they were about to do to the forefront of his mind. After a moment his voice was almost back to usual.

"Here is where we are going to train. Just a few jumps, to get you used to it. It's a relatively soft piece of earth. If you come through here I'll show you what to do."
Ace Nizky
Ace Nizky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coraline Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 pm

With a start, Coraline began unstrapping herself as Ace left the cockpit. Stepping into the drop area the plague doctor reflexively smoothed her flight suit, her hands traveling down the length of her torso. "I did mean sorry in the sympathetic sense when I said it dear, but you know sometimes people only share because they feel compelled to when asked. I wouldn't want to put you on the spot is all." Coraline took as step closer to the ex fed trying hard not to look out of any of the windows. " Relatively? I'm not even a physicist and yet somehow you've filled me with dread by using that word. Alright I think I'm ready. Wait, Ace sweetie, when you say show me surely you don't mean?" The ex V.K. agent let the question hang in the air.
Coraline
Coraline

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Nizky Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 pm

"Mean what?" He asked with genuine quizzicalness. "Have you ever used a Drop Suit before? Come to think of it have you ever lept out of an aircraft before? If you would prefer I have some parachutes you could use to get used to the idea of free fall, before you try to use the Bingo-Wings.
Ace Nizky
Ace Nizky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coraline Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:31 am

"Oh thank goodness." Coraline sighed, visibly relieved, "For a moment there I was convinced you were just going to open a door of some sort and just leap out. My apologies, sorry dear but you really had me going for a moment there. And no, to both which I thought I'd been clearly about. Oh my. I, um well is that like training wheels? Except for dropping out of the sky at more than break neck speed, especially if you get it wrong? If that is the case then yes I think I'd very much like some training wings flight sergeant." There was no amusement in Coraline's voice this time.
Coraline
Coraline

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Nizky Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 am

Ace nodded once, curtly, and retrieved a parachute from the cargo-netting behind the pilot seat. Holding the straps out he slid them around Coriline's arms. Standing in front of her he pulled on a few straps and did up another buckle or two until the pack containing the parachute was on. As explained what to do he equipped his own parachute and demonstrated what to do on it.

"The parachute will slow your fall and mean you touch the ground safely. Once you have jumped out of the aircraft you will be in freefall. It will take about 15 seconds for you to reach terminal velocity of 122 miles per hour. When you are falling I want you to adopt this position, like a starfish," Ace demonstrated this move, splaying his legs and sticking his arms out to the side. "only you will be horizontal. After 60 seconds pull this cord to deploy the parachute by pulling this cord. That'll take you down to 30 MPH. If the parachute doesn't deploy then pull this cord here to deploy the reserve. Hit the ground running and everything will be okay. Any questions?"

Ace Nizky
Ace Nizky

Back to top Go down

Post  Coraline Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Coraline allowed Ace dressing her to pass without comment although her eyebrows did raise and several interesting expressions passed across her face as Ace strapped the pack to her. The plague doctor attended the ex fed's explanation keenly, having information to focus on appeared to have a calming effect on her. Coraline nodded at any more questions, her earlier unease returning to her face, "Yes, um, what do I do dear, if say the reserve also fails?" The former plastic surgeon's foot was tapping rhythmically, although she did not seem to notice.
Coraline
Coraline

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Nizky Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:35 pm

“Then I’ll have to step up teaching you how bingo wings work to part way through your first fall. It shouldn’t happen though. The primary chute is designed to be steerable while the secondary is just to slow your fall. It has less to go wrong. Both parachutes failing is practically unheard of unless they have been sabotaged, and most Agents use drop suits anyway as they are easy to learn and quite practical. It also makes a much smaller target.”

Some people might have said that as a joke. Ace said it in a rather matter of fact way, which betrayed his training. After making Coraline repeat the instructions and being confidant that she knew what she was going to do Ace reached over and slid open the side door. Instantly they were buffeted by winds, both from the high altitude air outside and from the downdraft of the rotors. Due to Ace’s modifications there was very little noise from the helicopter itself, but the wind rushing past their ears and the sudden drop in pressure as the climate controls disengaged made it suddenly difficult to hear.

“Don’t worry. I will be with you all the way.” Ace smeakered. “Although you have to remember the most important thing is..” at which point the ‘copter jerked vilontly to the side, tilted and threw both of them out of the door into freefall. Ace adopted the position he had demonstrated and looked over to the falling form of his fellow skydiver. “.. you might find yourself falling at any moment, especially if people are shooting at you.”
Ace Nizky
Ace Nizky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2