Week 29, First Monday after the Mission: Finality

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Week 29, First Monday after the Mission: Finality

Post  Ace Nizky on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 am

"I don't know. Why did any of us leave?"

Ace stooped down and started picking up fragments. He didn't look at Parvati as he spoke.

"I've had Agents in my division die before. It's part of Agent life, sometimes people die. But it's never hit me so had before. I've eaten with people, slept with people, fought and killed with people. I’ve been close to some, others have been distant. Some have died. But we expected it, we mourned and then new Agents came in to replace them. And we carried on. This is... different. This shouldn’t have been a dangerous mission. No-one was expected to die, least of all... her. She was the toughest of us all. She took down a MAG tank, a plasma shooting machine of death, all by herself. She.” Ace stopped what he was doing as he choked on his words. Raising his head and his eyes he met Parvati’s gaze. “This is different. She isn’t replaceable. Why didn’t I stop her? She was next to me. I could have grabbed her; I could have said something, done something. I left her behind, and they killed her. No, I killed her. I let her die.”
Ace Nizky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parvati Comoros Sharma on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

She wants to comfort him, she wants to be comforted, Neither is going to happen. She doesn't have the words, not in Mandarin, not even in her native Hindi. How do you explain the cycle of Dharma to someone blaming themselves for another's death. How do you explain the nature of Duty and sacrifice when even you don't entirely believe at the moment. When the death has no meaning and no context. No glamour and no glory.

She tries to speak but all that emerges is a faint croak and she continues to stare down at the remaining shattered crockery. Not helping, Not cleaning, just standing there. A long and dangerous silence welling up in this place.

She turns, suddenly movement, her hands almost blur as they reach for cooking pots and utensils. "Food." she says flattly, harshly almost, no trace of emotion in her voice strange after the silence and the hesitance "We're all running on empty, no calories, no energy for the brain." she doesn't pause to see if Ace agrees or not as she moves with her usual grace around the kitchen, her feet barely paying attention to the shards of ceramics scattered across the floor.
Parvati Comoros Sharma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Nizky on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Ace deflated. Grief had come and gone, now he was angry and upset. Ace wasn't even sure why he had tried to open up to the Hindu agent. She had been such a pillar over the last week when Ace was a stranger in a strange land, giving advice and teachings. Being a caregiver and a leader. And an amazing cook. Ace usually just kept it all bottled up inside, but perhaps this wasn't yet the time for sharing and comfort. The wound was too raw and she might be keeping it bottled up just as much as he once would before he came to Seoul and SWA. A new wave of grief threatened to overcome him, but he buried it and finished working on the floor. At least he could pick up these pieces.

"I'm sorry for burdening you with my worries, Parvati. Thank you listening. If you ever want to talk about.... well, no. That's up to you. I'd love something to eat, why not? Your cooking usually brightens up everyone’s day. Is there anything I can help with?"
Ace Nizky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Darya sighed, and nodded. Although her voice was level and calm, the two kids saw her face squirm up in worry and sadness. I understand. I will leave.. She sat for a few more moments, holding Bell in her arms, before looking up at Dusty. "What do you want to do, Dusty?" she asked, looking up at her nephew. "I'm happy for you to come with me, or you can stay here with Sosie and Bell."

She frowned. She was treating Dusty like he was mentally older than he was again...but in this situation, someone had to choose, and she didn't think she was in a position to do so for Dusty. "If you decide to stay, I'll come visit you and make sure you're okay. You too Bell." she said, looking down at the girl in her arms.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Dusty furrowed his brow for a moment, thoughtfully. His mother had dismissed him so casually... But he had never seen her so.. distant and angry before. So focused on something other than work. Bribing officials, moving with haste, words clipped, demanding Pinkie's body, even though her own was still so fragile without ICE. He bit his lip and looked at his sister. Mom'd been planning on taking all of them, him, Bell, and Pinkie to Madrid this week. He had been excited. Bell had been.. less enthusiastic. This house was where she felt safe. ..And there was no way they were going to Madrid now.

"I don't.. I can't go." As he said the words he looked at his aunt, and realized how serious his mother's words were. No more living with Darya, or Ace, or anyone. His face creased into a frown, his lower lip trembling under his teeth. He re-evaluated his words. They were still right. "..I can't go."

Bell looked up at her brother, deeply aware something was wrong, but finding herself lacking the words to explain it. She knew better than another why her mother was so upset her godmother was.. no longer functioning, but kicking everyone out? Why such an overreaction? Pinkie didn't like people but surely she would be unhappy with Sosie kicking everyone out without talking about it. She wasn't comforted by Darya's words, nod nodded once, sharply, regardless. "Yes," she said, face blank as she tried to puzzle out the knot in her stomach.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Darya smiled, very slightly, as Dusty made his choice. "I thought you'd say that. It'd be what I do if I were you."

She didn't say anything for a moment, before she began speaking again. "I know...I know that no matter what I say, it's not going to help. This...this is a huge thing to happen, and you're even less ready for it than I was when it happened to my family...and I know that you're sad. I know that, and I know Sosie's sad...more than sad. But that's okay. It's okay to be sad at a time like this." Her hand, hugging Bell, reached up and stroked her hair. "You're both sad, and you won't know how to deal with it, because you've never been sad before...and I don't know what the best way for you to deal with it will even be, but when I'm sad, I try just letting it wash over me. Letting myself be sad, and upset, for as long as I need to be. That might help you. I don't know. But...but I'll be there, no matter what you want to do. If you need me, call me, and I'll come to help. Okay?"
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 am

Dusty and Bell let Darya speak without interruption. Dusty looked at his aunt's face as she struggled with her own emotions, though his felt.. simple. Hard, yes, unpleasant, but simple. And while he felt sad, while he did not want his house to change, he didn't understand why it would.. change how he acted. His brows knit as he wanted to understand but did not. Instead, he only nodded and knelt to take his aunt's hand. "Thank you, Auntie Darya."

Pinkie's goddaughter had a harder time with her aunt-in-law's words, turning to look at Darya's face. Bell was not sure if she had felt sad before. But it took her time to process her synthetic emotions. She tried to close her eyes and let the weird heaviness in the pit of her stomach wash over her... And instead felt nothing but a weird almost coldness in her hands, despite the fact that Smallest was in her lap. Her eyes opened, green and wide again... Before a thought occurred to her. Her eyes glowed for a few moments before she blinked hard, clearing the light from her eyes. She shrugged gently out of Darya's grasp, gently. "..Yes, thank you." She was standing a moment later, dropping Smallest at her feet while she left the room.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Darya smiled slightly at Dusty as Bell left the room. "Come on Dusty. I'll throw my stuff in my van, then we'll do something together. What would you like to do?" she asked, guiding him out of the room and looking around to see where Bell went. "Should we read for a bit? Or maybe some training?"
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Bell had left at speed and was nowhere to be seen.. But observant people would notice Smallest walking up toward of the medbay, looking at the closed-but-still-moving doors with cocked head. There was no easy or apparent way in for a cat.

Dusty let his aunt lead him out of his room. He had been reading comics when his mother had called him from his room to the Mungo, but for some reason, he didn't feel like reading comics right now. He frowned. His aunt seemed to be coping well, which was good. It made him feel a little better about his decision to stay. "I.. I don't know. I was reading The Gray Shadow before.." His voice trailed off, and he swallowed and tried again. "I was going to pack for Madrid, but.. I don't think we are going to go now."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Darya nodded, before looking at the cat sitting in front of the medbay doors. "Tell you what. I'll just check on Bell, and then we can go outside for a bit. Maybe we could climb up and sit on the roof?" she said, squeezing his arm gently, before she headed towards the medbay doors.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Dusty nodded mutely and looked around. He could hear Ace and Parvati upstairs, and he gave a last look to his aunt before she took off after Bell. He walked upstairs slowly, taking in his housemates.. what? Cooking? Were they hungry? Pursing his lips a little, he walked up tentatively to join them, obviously not wishing to interrupt and feeling more than a little.. ill at ease.

It was not readily obvious where Bell was in the medbay.. Until she stood up. The suspended animation cabinet that held her godmother rested on the floor, half set into an alcove in the wall, behind one of the medical tables. Pinkie's dead and very damaged body was visible through the cold glass, the casket putting a pale blue glow on her charred skin. Bell stood, brows drawing slightly together, and walked across the room to a console. She ignored her aunt-by-proxy as she tapped on the screen. Bell's careful motions accelerated with the machine; if there was something she understood, it was computers. She stared at the charts and numbers, eyes unblinking, dark.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Darya's eyed narrowed as her telemetric vision allowed her to zoom in on what Bell was looking at as well as the other data she could see looking around the room. She walked slowly, without much noise or saying much, heading over to Pinkie's body, but she seemed more interested in working out what Bell was doing.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Bell appeared to be looking at medical data. Measurements of chemicals, hormones, poisons, organ functions, descriptions of damage overlayed over a map of the human body, a picture of the brain. The small replicant's eyes never left the screen, data moving very rapidly, certainly too fast for a human to get an accurate picture of what the data actually was... But anyone with medical knowledge could tell they were looking at the charts of a dead person. A very, very dead and heavily damaged agent.

The body in the casket by Darya's knees looked like Pinkie, despite the burned face and horribly unpleasant phased flesh. It was her armor despite the holes, her face under the Lichtenburg figures, burned skin and charred hair. There was no doubt about that.

Bell's fingers tightened along the edge of the console, gripping the screen in her hands, body standing utterly still, pausing even her synthetic respiration.

SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Darya looked down at Pinkie's body for a few moments, before putting her hand over her face and pulling it down. She had several ideas about what Sosie wanted to do, or what Sosie might be planning to do, but...right now, she couldn't think of anything to do about that.

Instead, she walked over to Bell, and put a hand on the girl's shoulder lightly. She didn't try to steer Bell away from the consel, she simply stood there.

She opened her mouth to speak, but she couldn't think of anything to say that could be comforting for Bell, and stopped, before sighing again. "Do you need anything? Or want anything?" she asked finally, aware of how flimsy her words seemed.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 pm

The spell that had paused Bell's motions snapped when Darya touched the little replicant's shoulder. Her fingers tightened more and the plastic creaked once under her hands while the bounty hunter talked. Instead of an answer, what Darya got was a loud *CRACK* as the console in Bell's hand shattered, the screen fracturing down the middle and outer shell buckling.

Only then did Bell release the dead screen, lights flickering to fade over its leaking surface. She turned to Darya. There was something different about her expression; it was blank, but different. Familiar. Forced. For the first time since her birth, Darya saw Bell's eyes look sharp, animal, intelligent. "An agent requires at least 40% of their brain to be resurrected with a nano-resuscitation pack. You have ten minutes to do it. It is the most advanced piece of technology available for bringing the dead person back to life."

Her voice was cool, calm as ever, reciting the information as she learned it. Robotic. "Pinkie has been dead for several hours. Her brain oxygenator was rendered static during the galvanic blast to her head. Even if she had died this minute.." And there was a small pause as Bell momentarily took her deepy green eyes off of Darya, moving with feral quickness. "..Her brain has been almost completely destroyed by the electrical energy."

Bell's eyes looked away from Darya's face again, back to the casket, then unsubtly scanned the exits. She turned back and looked at her aunt-in-law's hand on her shoulder. "Pinkie is not coming back." It almost sounded like a questions at the start, but it was merely cold fact by the end.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:23 pm

**Cat pawed against the outer door, she knew that the handle had to be depressed but there were also engraved buttons at her full standing height that needed manipulating too. The scratching was actually more for something to do than because she expected it to lead to her entry, after all sitting on the walls was a very bad plan, as cat had once found out to her cost. Fortunately no one had been around to see. Cat had been absently licking her scorches and her fried fur for a while before it had become clear that the strange orange one was not coming back out of the metal dome that she and her not people had entered into. The long thin metal object piercing up into the sky had been a fairly large hint. Eventually Cat had slunk home, resisting the impuse to tear those she passed asunder. The "Alpha" only had so much tolerance for that sort of thing and would already be vexed at her for not being with her or the skin taker. Cat scratched absently at the door once more wondering why she had bothered and why her "glorious leader" had to make her care. Still when she actually lead them out of their metal lair it was more interesting than the orange ones exploits had been... and there is food inside. It was not that Cat could not or would not get her own food, it was simply that she was here now and sooner or later someone would open the door. cat decided she would slip past them then, settling down for the wait.

Gren was annoyed. Gren was angry, furious even. But this was normal, indeed it is her base state. Still... the one to whom she was loyal had chosen to take a lesser packmate again. To be overlooked time and again when she knew, knew in her bones and the metal of her teeth and claws that she was the best... an insult to put it mildly. And to pass over her for a confrontational kitty kat, so aloof and cool and nebulous to be both “in” and “not in” the pack at the same time! Gren had become customised to the omega being selected for menial tasks but this... Gren gnashed her teeth once more. Perhaps her “Alpha” was still mad at her about the challenge, though that was far from Gren's fault! Everything about her had changed! Gren beat her claws against the pack's floor. She had been glorious in her first hunt, she had been glorious in the snow and against those gunmen... how had things gone so wrong? Gren, beta of the pack, strongest, fittest, fastest, the most lethal hung her head, the srious doubts she harboured about herself only intensifying. Gren beat her caws against the floor at a faster rate. When were they going to get back? Alpha was away all the time it was true, while they were all relegated to training, often coming back with strange smells or simply preferring to spend more time with the other inhabitants of the house than her pack but... however much she frustrated her beta, Gren always found herself impatient for Pinkie's return. Her Alpha's presence was soothing and Gren could not deny that she missed her master. Gren sat in her basket looking at the closed door to outside Pinkie's room and wished it would open.

Eve paced the firing range. So many times when things had been happening they had happened here. She could accept that the Doctor had passed her by without petting or talking at her, since although she always listened the Doctor just didn't get the response. Evee accepted it because she had been invisible at the time. Otherwise the Doctor would not have done that, and she smelt odd, as Alpha-of-the-Pack had done after working on the spinning metal wheels but much more strongly. It was not on the other hand, odd for the door to be barred to The-Wandering-Eye but it had not opened for her once the Wandering-Eye had left. It was not as if the door cared if she was faded or not. Evee had even faded in and still the door had not opened. Worse still sometime before the Doctor had ever left, the cat, her Alpha, The-Confused-Immortal and the Warsmith-Given-Protection had all gone, which was fine and normal at the time, except that not all of them had come back. More troubling even than that her nose was drawing a blank. The Warsmith was putrid yet The Shaman smelt of nothing more than oil and the Confused-Immortals air... only more strongly, much more. The-Half-Man-of-Words had also left, and Evee could not stop thinking of the night the Warsmith was given protection. As usual The Doctor bore streaks of what she was looking for but it was faded and other newer things got in the way. One of Evee's ears drooped as the happenings upstairs became much more busy. She knew she would hear nothing from within the door so long as it was shut to her and her other senses had already failed her. Only the Doctor could help her, not those busy above and yet... Evee could not shake the feeling that she was looking in the wrong place. Doctor Ragnarok had entered alone. Hoping that those who were missing where not also waiting before a door to be let in. Evee circled in place and watched the door considering all that she knew. She knew she should be investigating, should be active but if this door would not open for her... then which others would not either?

The fiendish freaky faceless foe had been, exactly that absent and far from sight or smell or sound. The fearsome feline had even failed to find his frequently faceted (finger) paw prints. Feckless though she may be the feline would have thought she would not forget fighting him to finality and chose not to forego or foreclose further possibilities, he could not have forfeited. Still, fine favour the folk of foals and filly's had fondly and frequently flattered her with. Also the fork tongued, single file, fingerless and foolhardy snake was simply not as fun. Her forsworn, finicky, foe had not even been found under the bed.... or floor or even within flour. Smallest had searched fruitlessly and while it seemed that her fiefdom was all finally hers, this fenestrated form of a fence before her failed to unfetter and allow her to find her favourite folk. Smallest flopped on the floor, awaiting either favourite or her the fiery one.**
Pinkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:56 am

When Bell turned around, her expression reminded Darya so much of Pinkie that she pulled back her hand in alarm, before relaxing it again. When Bell finished talking, she frowned.

There's a but in there somewhere, isn't there? thought Darya, narrowing her eyes as she looked at the casket and the broken monitor attached to it. You can't bring Pinkie back...but

To Bell herself, she merely shook her head. "No. She isn't coming back."
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 am

A change came over Bell. The fear and panic hidden behind a blank expression that Darya knew so well from the little replicant's godmother drained from her face. Her face relaxed into it's normal doll-like angelic smoothness, free of worry. The knot of dread in her stomach came unloose, sending coils of heaviness through her limbs. That was what felt so terrible. The almost but not knowing. And now she knew.

Her eyes followed Darya's now withdrawn hand. Had Darya been.. scared of her? Her brow furrowed for a moment. Normally it was easier to think. Interesting. Her mind felt.. thick. Clouded. She tried to focus on her emotions, as Pinkie had instructed, but this memory instead only brought a short stab of.. pain? But inside, where she had taken no damage. Her face winced slightly, but only for a moment. She was aware of her aunt-by-proxy's eyes on her. Maybe it would be better not to think yet. Not here.

Instead, she repeated softly. "She is not coming back." Again, the stab of pain, shorter, deeper. She prepared for the wince this time, almost removing it from her face. Better. Her eyes glowed for a second as her brain went elsewhere, accessing information. After a moment her gaze refocused on Darya. Her voice was soft, distant, as if she was reading something, but there was still a sharpness, a brightness in her eyes. "Mom will not let us bury the body... But there are are other things to do. Excuse me."

Without waiting for a response the little replicant sidestepped her aunt and left a bit more hurriedly than was necessary. She half ran to the top floor, door opening to Pinkie's room steps before she got there. She only paused once to scoop up Smallest like a toy and pull the lynx to her face. The door to Pinkie's room shut a little harder than was necessary, especially for someone who didn't even close it with her hands.

Last edited by SosieTerrehaute on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Darya rubbed her hand as Bell left, glad to have her eyes return to normal. She was still worried about the girl, but hopefully that at least helped the little replicant. She spent another moment staring at Pinkie's body, before leaving the lab and heading upstairs herself.

As she headed into the living area, she raised her hand in greeting to the people gathered up there, heading towards the kitchen where Ace and Parvati were. "Hey." she said, standing by the table, at the same time scanning for where Dusty had gone.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parvati Comoros Sharma on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Parvati looks up from her bubbling pans and tries a weak smile to Darya, it barely forms and slides off her face all too quickly. "How is..." her voice fails her and she returns her attention to the boiling pans.
Parvati Comoros Sharma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Dusty was standing near Ace and Parvati, far enough back to be out of their way, but close enough to hear them. His eyes were on the ex-Comoros agent, brows raised in worry... though his mind appeared elsewhere. His fingers traced over a groove on the countertop, only now at this moment realizing his clothes were covered in drops of Pinkie's blood. "Oh." He touched the dried red marks with a hand.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Nizky on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 pm

As Dusty and Darya ascended they could see Ace sitting in a kitchen chair, watching Parvati. As they come in he looks to them, with a forlorn expression on his face.

"... Ms. Sosie. How is she?" He finished
Ace Nizky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Darya Demeter on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 pm

"Dusty, dear, you should go change your clothes." said Darya, looking at him, before turning around to Ace. "She's locked herself in her room. I'm not sure what's she's doing in there though. She sounded like she had a plan, but who knows what that could be."

Privately she had a number of ideas, but she didn't want to say them out loud. She began to take a seat next to Ace, before turning to Parvati. "Do you want any help, Parvati?" she asked.
Darya Demeter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Parvati Comoros Sharma on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 pm

"No, No." parvati shakes her head moving from pan to pan and to and from the cooker to the fridge and back again. "I should have everything done soon." she says her voice oddly level and lacking both the sorrow of her heart and the normal happy tones of her voice. It was stilted and strange.
Parvati Comoros Sharma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Dusty looked up at his aunt mutely, face a momentary mass of confusion, as if the blood on his shirt was nothing more than mud. And should it be? Humans and replicants bled all the time. There was no reason to look so upset. With a silent nod, he took off for his room inside the rig. With the exception of his bathrobe, no one had seen him in anything other than finely crafted and almost certainly armoured and strangely stiff tuxedos. Within a few moments he was gone.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next