Weird Random Conicidental [probably] significance.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weird Random Conicidental [probably] significance.

Post  Pinkie on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 pm

So I was going through old Deus Ex trivia today and found this interview, inside about 1/3rd of the way down is this:

DeusEx-Machina: Whose idea was it to include references to the Oracle? Could you briefly explain the concept to the players that aren't with the old times?

Chris Todd: Wow. I'm impressed (and amused) that someone caught this. One of the challenges of this kind of writing is producing a lot of small bits of text which still somehow impart a sense of character or atmosphere to the rest of the game; after a while it becomes difficult to keep track of who's who, so I fell back on using an old trick where most of the characters in the game had some personality tic that would inform their dialog or writing, even if it was never explained... So for the Oracle I decided that somewhere out there on the Net was a gestalt computer intelligence that operated as a clearing house for information--the catch being that you had to pay it in information it didn't already have. It attempted to hide its nature right out in the open by pretending to be an automated server that responded to questions. And when I thought of _that_, it tickled a memory from the misty past of Usenet, where people would post questions to the "Internet Oracle" and have to answer a question from the Oracle in turn. Questions and responses would get posted, usually in rec.humor.oracle. The whole thing was a rather mysterious bit of collaborative performance art/stand-up comedy routine. If you want to know more, do a Deja search for "Intro to the Usenet Oracle." Anyways, almost none of that was implicit in the game, but now you know what I was thinking about (which is probably way more than you wanted to hear).

Which spooked me the hell out, especially since I've talked to Chris and Matt about why they respectively suggested and choose Oracle.

And then I remembered that we shouldn't plug Keith into the Internet. O.o
[It also seems I'm not allowed to post an external link for a further 7 days, so I'll add it in then and anyone who wants to read it up can let me know via whichever media is your preference =]
Pinkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weird Random Conicidental [probably] significance.

Post  Pinkie on Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm going to leave this article here, because while reading it my mind just went; that's Eurasia Incorporated, the UIG, that screams of Gemini, oh hello the Order, someone from Comoros could well have written this, etc. It was sent to me by my sister, saying it greatly impressed her. This is an achievement on the article's part. I can't entirely say I understand the article, especially why it draws a comparison to Frankenstein at one point but I think it's relevant. It's on two books and is from the 23rd of april.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2012/04/rowan-williams-archbishop-canterbury-markets-sandel-skidelsky-marx-morality-aristotle-good-life/

The http address is interesting and perhaps a little off-putting but the article itself is titled From Faust to Frankenstein. Which was, of course, enough for me to read it.
Pinkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top