The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very Late Week 93: A Job Offer

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Very Late Week 93: A Job Offer - Page 2 Empty Re: Very Late Week 93: A Job Offer

Post  Fenris Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Sosie's comment snapped the infiltrators eyes back to her. Fenris was here to get science. She let out a heavy sigh, this was not going well. Either Hui was talking Sumiko up, or living in SWA has been really bad for her. But the worst thing was that Sumiko was probably right, she was probably the best choice available.  But maybe she could be improved, the mission wouldn't happen for a while. "Fine." Fenris tried to to sound as reluctant as she was, but the sigh and the long pause had already made that pretty clear. "But part of this mission will involve you going to see a therapist. From now until we hit Itoma. I still need to plan the strike, which I can do now I know what I'm working with."
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Very Late Week 93: A Job Offer - Page 2 Empty Re: Very Late Week 93: A Job Offer

Post  Silvia Tsukuda Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:20 am

"Not going to happen," Sumiko replied immediately, shaking her head emphatically. "No therapists. Besides, it would make any difference," she added. "I know exactly what's wrong with me - I have a far better understanding of neurology and psychology than most therapists in this city. If you want, I can give you a full rundown. I just don't care, meaning that a therapist would do no good anyway." She turned and put the fire rifle gently down on her desk. Her voice had settled, becoming almost reasonable.

"And besides, therapists are generally reporting to one of the corps. And not only am I a genius, there are other reasons why the corps would like to get their hands on me for study. So unless you want to lose your only option, no therapists." She paused for a moment, watching Fenris' reaction. "And there's one other thing," she said. "I'd like to take a look at your soul. Don't worry, it's harmless. That's my price."
Silvia Tsukuda
Silvia Tsukuda

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:33 am

"She means your neural scan." Sosie looked almost annoyed, and interrupted hastily before Fenris panicked. "If there is such a thing as a soul, I doubt it's something you can see or, mm, recreate, even if the patterns can be replicated." Her face darkened, and she ran her hand through her short white hair. She sighed. "...You'd need to grow it if anything, but, mm, regardless, you know for a fact there are therapists who don't report to the corporations. We have one here. Glockner. He reports to no one, not even me."

The cyberneticist seemed.. wary, and hesitant, and even Fenris could pick up on something residual. Hurt, or anger. There was already defeat in her voice, as if she expected Sumiko to reject her idea; it was a fair assumption, given Sumiko's vehemence before. Still, for some reason Fenris couldn't determine, Sosie felt the need to correct her ... housemate.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:49 pm

Ok, now she'd had a bit too much of this whole place, and the unrelenting crazyness of this woman. "I don't think you understand the situation. You are not my only option. I only came here because Phoenix recommended you, but there are others." "And if you are too fucking stubborn you go and see the person your own friend is recommending," Fenris jabbed a finger in Sosie's direction, "then you are off the mission. It's far too important to risk you fucking it up cause you're to insane to function!" Fenris looked Sumiko right in the eyes, hoping that this gamble would pay off. "You will never get to find out what secrets Itoma has hidden on the moon."
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Sumiko returned Fenris' gaze steadily, but implacably. "An ultimatum? And a violent one, at that. You are desperate. Doesn't make any difference - I'm not seeing a therapist. Not even Glockner - there are plenty of other people in this house who could do with talking to him, but I won't." She looked aside to Sosie and Ida as she said that, raising her eyebrows.

"Trust me, I can function," she said, turning back to Fenris. "You don't believe me, ask Sosie or Bell. And Ida's seen me in combat. They know what I can do. Or you can try and find someone else. But you're not going to find someone else who knows neurostatics, is willing to go up against Itoma, is combat capable and is sane. So I'm just gonna wait here for you to come back."
Silvia Tsukuda
Silvia Tsukuda

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Okay, fine, so Sosie had had a point, Sumiko was definitely... past the point. For her to be where she was, squalid and isolated, and suggest Ida had a problem, that was proof she needed something to be done. "Sumiko, you're right, you're really good, but you obviously want to do this so stop being all smug over it. Oracle aren't a corporation that do compromises and Fenris here will totally go with someone worse if it fits her plan, just clean up and go lie to a therapist for a few hours until everyone's happy."
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Sosie, for her part, just furrowed her brow at Sumiko, not saying anything but looking a bit hurt. It was hard to think of Sumiko as the same woman who had been so compassionate through her own mental break, and the feelings that followed were explicit on her face.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Fenris looked from Sumiko to her housemates. The look on Sosie's face really didn't lend any weight to the Neurostatcians claims. She was starting to get really annoyed with this woman. After Ida had said her piece, the Agent added "Or, you can stay here and rot in your hole. I'm Oracle. I'm rich, richer than everyone else in this building. I will definitely find someone who can pass a psych-evaluation. So I'll give you the ultimatum you seem to want: Either you stop being an arrogant bitch and face facts, or I'll find someone else and give them everything you've ever wanted." She leaned back against the wall to await Sumiko's reply.
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Sumiko scowled and grabbed Fenris' arm, pulling her away from the wall again. "I said don't touch that!" She paused for a moment, collecting herself, then shrugged. "That's fine - I think you're overestimating how much I want to do this. I have my own interests and research. It would be nice to go screw over Itoma, but I can live without it. So go find yourself some willing idiot who can't really do the job if you want."

She turned and made her way back to her desk. "You can all go now."
Silvia Tsukuda
Silvia Tsukuda

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Fenris gave Sosie a questioning look, before shrugging and turning to leave. "Fine." She should probably let Hui know she'd gone off the deep end. As she left Sumiko's room, she gestured towards the child replicant. "Come on, I'm leaving."
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ida Salcedo Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:57 pm

"Hey." Ida was looking at Fenris with a smile, this time more friendly than sinister. "Too bad things didn't work out with Sumiko, but if you need an extra gunwoman on your break-in, I'd be up for it. I am on Oracle's payroll, and it sounds fun, y'know?" She twirled her shotgun around dextrously as she slid it into its holster. "You can check out the mission reports if you want, you'll see how good I am.

"And..." she added, privately to Fenris. "No promises she'd budge an inch, but I can maybe try] and get Sumiko to be co-operative. Just maybe, though."
Ida Salcedo
Ida Salcedo

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Sosie waited until Sumiko closed the door behind them, standing behind and between Fenris and Ida. After a moment, she said, "She's not wrong. Sumiko is the best. She understands the science... I'm a neural programmer, and I'm not terrible at it, but she's... She knows this stuff on a basic level. She breathes it. If there was something hidden, if there was any obscure science... She would know it." She looked away and down. "But, well... She's been, mm, tough recently."
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Fenris paused, shooting Sosie a slightly incredulous look. They had just been over this. "I don't care if she is the most skilled, if she's incapable of following orders, then I can't risk it. I need this to work, so unless you can somehow guarantee that she won't do something bat-shit crazy half way through the mission, I'm not taking her anywhere near the moon." She crossed to the top of the stairs, stopping to make sure the replicant was following. "Ida, once I have done more prep, and worked out exactly what the plan is, I will be able to see who I need. But I imagine you will come in useful."
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:03 pm

Bell who had been standing in the hallway, did not follow. Her eyes were glowing green, and she was standing, relaxed, staring into space. The immediate reason was obvious, however, as Sosie took the lead for following. "I don't doubt she would do most of what you asked... but if it was between your commands or science..." She shook her head, running her short fingers through her white hair once more. She took a moment to select Fenris' smeaker frequency as they walked downstairs, past the massive computer and floor sized.. virtual reality machine, was it? "Honestly, she's not going to get better. I've wanted to get her out and get her treatment but I haven't had total support. She's not even showering any more.." it was a flood of words, as if she'd been wanting to get this off her chest.
SosieTerrehaute
SosieTerrehaute

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Fenris floundered for a response. That was not the kind of thing you expect a complete stranger to confess, and she didn't know how to react, or what she was supposed to say. OK? Well.. it looks like you won't get her treatment unless you force her, if I can't even pay her to do something she wants to do... And then Fenris realized what she was hinting at, and sort of trailed off. She walked in silence for a little while, trying to think of how to say it. Has she talked to any people? Or even left the building?
Fenris
Fenris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2