Week 90: Data, and How To Trawl It

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 90: Data, and How To Trawl It

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm

As they all filed out of the Medbay to give Han time to recover, Fenris, still engrossed in whatever it was she was looking at on her datapad. As she was shuffling through the door, a thought suddenly struck. "Amets? You know how B&S work. Would they be likely to exaggerate the UIG response to a crime? I don't really know how tight the UIG control is."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 90: Data, and How To Trawl It

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Amets looked up from her own PDA, and responded slowly "It would be unusual to exaggerate the exact numbers, although you can do a lot with adverbs to give the impression of a larger event. Any particular reason you ask?"
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Fenris paused to consider her response. She was pretty sure the UIG wouldn't be listening in on the conversation. "The Ronin need some UIG communications tech, they want to pay us to get it. I need to know where I can find an APC without being immediately destroyed by all it's backup."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Carmen now took her turn to look up from her phone. She was standing next to Amets, but well.. her reactions were shot. She closed down her game and gave a slow smile. "Where does B&S fit into this?" Her voice sounded a little thick, and she cleared her throat, deeply interested since the word "communications".
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:46 pm

"I'm guessing Agent Fenris wishes to examine Bright and Sunny news reports to find incidents involving an UIG APC to allow us to find one deployed which doesn'thave additional back up." said Amets. "If so, then I'd advise tracking traffic records rather than using Bright and Sunny media reports, since a single APC can be deployed over a wide area."
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm

"Ah, that's not how I would do it. I would see if there was anything hackable in a smeaker range, or use eyes on the ground to follow an APC, or maybe even make an event to attract one. Classic honeytrap, yeah." She nodded a bit vaugely, and turned to Fenris, eyes glassy and lit with a fiendish desire. "Or maybe just break into a UIG base and steal some."
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Fenris gave Carmen a knowing look, she had plenty of experience of being stoned, and had come up with more that a few suspect plans herself. "You mainly just get traffic reports for the most populated area's, and more people mean more UIG. If we're going to hit one, it should be more remote. Hence news reports over traffic reports. Luring one could be tricky, since we really don't want to attract anything bigger. According to Mieko, it'll take a few minutes to get what we need once we're inside, so I really need the backup to take its time to get there."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Amets shrugged. "If you got hold of a document with recommended UIG responses, then it would be fairly easy to create a textbook event for the UIG to respond to." She frowned. "I usually find it easier to obtain information about movements in less dense areas. Less noise to shift through."
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Carmen patted her pockets, locating a package of crackers that she surreptitiously had taken from Han's life saving meal. She opened them and took one out, crunching through her words. "Sho, bomb them when they leeg the base. Stop the crews there. No distraction." She was so helpful, and so loudly crunching. She offered some crackers to Amets and Carmen.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Fenris turned down the crackers, Carmen obviously needed them more. "They would send a much bigger response team if we attacked the base, and probably send it faster too. I don't want to provoke the UIG any more than I need to." A she talked Fenris was heading back towards the Hackers room, since she had a prober computer running her searches in there.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Amets raised an eyebrow as she realised where Fenris was heading. "You're going to Madhuri and Ashwin's room?" she asked Fenris, glancing down the corridor to her office, before following the other agent. "What exactly do the Ronin want this equipment for?" she asked.
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Carmen followed, but her only real comment was a mumbled, "They have names??" about the aforementioned hackers. She followed them slowly, munching loudly the whole way. Fenris' reply would be interesting.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Fenris could sympathize, she had gotten their names, but knew very little beyond that, except that they were pretty helpful. "To help them fight the Ai Jinn? They asked for a load of high end communication equipment, so my guess would be secure comms." She seemed convinced that this was good enough for Oracle Agents to help them out.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 pm

"UIG communications equipment goes slightly beyond simply secure." said Amets with the tone of someone who had tried to hack it. "What else are they are asking for?"
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Opening the door, Fenris quickly made her way back to the computer to check on it's progress. "They want a WF black ops comms system, and Takata holograms. So maybe not just secure comms, but that's not too important, they are willing to pay quite a bit, plus we should be able to find some stuff for the Room if we hit a Datanetica or Takata Facility."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:38 pm

"Not just communicate. They want to hack, forge, fake a thing." The information seemed to have pushed her into a thoughtful language change. In English, Carmen's accent was much more pronounced, thick. Even her word choice was vastly different. She frowned, eating another two crackers. "Very high end things. How did they tell you this? Was a CEO's plan or did you speak to Ronin?"

Last edited by Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Fenris avoided making eye contact, and she shifted uncomfortably. "Um.. Not so much. I got kinda turned around after the Takata Plaza mission, and a ninja decided to give me a memory stick with the details on." That sounded a lot worse when she said it out loud... But moving on, "Anyway, I was thinking a good place to go would be Africa, it's not too densely populated, and there should be plenty of places to lie low, if we bring Silvia along."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Carmen looked nonplussed for a moment, but there was still a faint drug-induced smile on her face. "Ronin ninja or other ninja? Because you could have been given a lure for a trap, yes? You've spoken to actual Ronin." The last bit was probably meant as a question, but she didn't raise her voice at the end, just sort of looking at Fenris.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Fenris looked a bit unsure of herself. "I'm fairly sure they are Ronin, they want us to steal some pretty high end Takata stuff." She paused to think for a couple of seconds. "But we can always do the other two first, and make sure they are Ronin before we hand anything over, and even if it does fall through, the stuff on this list could be worth a fair amount of money." She then muttered to herself "I'm pretty sure Hugo knows some Ronin. I'll have to see if he can check."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 pm

"So, you are stealing a large amount of high end equipment without knowing why or what they are planning to do with it?" asked Amets, still seeming to be focused on this fact. "What would they be doing with holograms?"
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Carmen put her hand on Amets' arm to get her attention. Her grip was fairly gentle. There was a look on her face of concern. Yes. She was concerned... And then she began giggling, quietly at first. She let go of Amets' arm. "Fenris, promise me you will meet with human people in meat space, and check their pasts in the deepest of internet searches, yes?"
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 pm

"Of course I will!" It was obvious. They were kind of treating her like she didn't know anything. Despite the fact that she'd been at this much longer than both of them. "And I know that the Ronin are currently fighting in a three way turf war with the Ai Jinn and SY, and I definitely know who I want to win. Besides, that would be part of checking to make sure this is the Ronin. I check to make sure they are who they should be, and that they won't use this to fuck over anyone I care about. If everything checks out, we make the deal." She turned her attention back to the computer, to continue with what she was here for. "But all that's kind of a moot point if we don't have what they're looking for. Which is why I'm looking into UIG responses. And according to this, Africa looks promising. It's much less crowded than EI territory,which isn't a huge surprise, and it definitely has the kind of thing I'm looking for."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AmetsBasamortu on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Amets didn't press the point, and instead flicked on her PDA and accessed population data for various regions. "The Middle East may be an alternative; the close proximity to Jerusalem means you could more easily lay low if the mission went south." She slid her stylus around the screen, frowning slightly and giving Carmen a glance at the mention of the holy city.
AmetsBasamortu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Carmen nodded along at Amets, smiling in a vague way. Fenris got a little snappy, and it was funny. This was all very funny. That ex-Oracle guys book never really mentioned how... gullible the agents were here. So very amusing. "Jerusalem, not a bad idea. Less UIG, but killer psychics who have .. some love? No love for Oracle? But no love for UIG either, yes?" She didn't add, "and no love for me", but on hand went up and touched the ports behind her left ear. She took the opportunity to down the crumbs of the crackers with her right hand, spilling a fair bit down her top as she missed her mouth.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Fenris looked from one hacker to the other, there was definitely something going on there, or maybe they have just been hanging out loads, who knew. "That's all relying on the assumption that they would actually shelter us. The UIG is going to be sure to crack down on anyone attacking them in the middle east, what with everyone having a border with it, so I can definitely see the OTF thinking it's far to much trouble to shelter a few Oracle Agents, whereas there's a lot less tension in the middle of Africa, so there would probably be less of a response." She continued typing away at her computer, looking for somewhere in Africa that might be a good place to start looking.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top