Week 83: Meeting the new hacker

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Week 83: Meeting the new hacker

Post  Carmen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm

The woman in the red jacket merely shrugged. Her coffee was nearly finished. "Nn. Maybe you were not desperate enough. Basics are simple." She raised her fingers, and began counting off on her callused fingers. "Freedom. Food. Shelter. Warmth. Health. ...Companionship you can trust." She had run out of fingers, and she closed her hands into lose fists before placing them on the countertop. "Desperation for ideology, a sense of self... It is paltry, nothing, compared to the desperation to live and live a life worth living." She was confident in her words, and her manners, even when she might be saying something a bit.. un-nice.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

"Uh...maybe." Silvia took another drink of synth-coffee. "It sounds like...like you might have a better grasp on this than I do. Like I say...most of my life, I've had what I wanted." She raised her gaze to meet her colleague's, deciding to try and shift the subject. "So...uh...where are you from, then? I mean...you sound Russian, but that's no guarantee of anything."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Carmen shrugged a little, her voice becoming slightly sing-songy as she oozed ambivalence. "Russian, yes. I was born there, but I have moved around a fair bit. Chengdu, St. Petersburg. Mostly CCZ. Nothing too exciting. And you? You as Shi Yukiro as you seem?" There was interest in her eyes as she leaned a little forward, showing every sign of interest.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm

"Uh...I guess so," Silvia replied, a little uncomfortably. The reminder of what she had been could still be a sensitive subject. "I mean...I grew up in Yokohama. Spent all my early life there. Joined Shinjitsu as an artist, then an Agent. But the ten years before Oracle...I spent them in South America. Mapping the wilds," she added, for clarification. "So I...was away for a bit. Doesn't seem to have taken the Shi Yukiro out of me, though." Her tone was a little troubled at that, unsure what to make of the fact. "And then I came back and...everything was changed."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm

The woman across the table from Silvia reacted a fair bit more to "ten years" than might be expected, if you didn't remember Silvia looked and acted like a teenager. However, Carmen recovered well, nodding along at the rest of the stories. "The corporations have been terrible in the last decade. Worse than ever. I am not shocked by this, even for a small corp like Shinjitsu." She drained her glass, and placed it back on the table delicately. "..And how did Oracle find you?" Her words were soft.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Silvia frowned at Carmen's condemnation of the corporations, but didn't say anything in response, choosing instead to reply to her question. "I was...passing through Seoul. On my way out of Japan. To go...I didn't know where. When I got a message offering me a job. And seeing as...didn't have anywhere else to go, I took it. Probably...probably a good thing I did. Didn't ask how they found out about me." She paused, her gaze dropping back to the last of her synth-coffee, which she picked up and drank. "So...what about you? What drew you to us?"
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 pm

Carmen shook her head, taking a long moment to reply. Her hand touched the damaged ends of her bleached hair. "I am a good hacker. I.. They noticed. It made sense to take a job." Each word was carefully chosen; it wasn't the whole story by any means. (Fail L&A by 7.) It was something she was obviously as bothered by, and had thought a lot about.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:51 pm

"I...I see." The dubious tone of Silvia's voice made it clear that she wasn't satisfied with this answer, but she didn't press any further. "Well, we could...we could certainly do with a hacker. We...we seem to have had a shortage of those recently." Again, the statement seemed loaded, although this time it was harder to tell what it was loaded with.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Carmen snorted, and said dismissively, "Not any that go on missions, certainly." There was confidence in her words, the awkwardness passing from them. (Pass Lying and Acting by 5.) "I was shocked by how immediately I was approached for missions. I would have expected a corporation like Oracle to have a much larger staff. You can afford it." She shook her head a little, looking around the room. "Keeps costs low I suppose."
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Silvia shifted in her chair, uncomfortably. "It...there used to be more of us. Turnover for...for Oracle staff is...quite high. I...I mean...I've only been here about half a year and...and I'm one of the senior Agents." She shook her head in disbelief. "People...people don't seem to stay around Oracle the way they do other corporations. Or they die. That...our last experienced hacker. He died. Stabbed himself in the throat." This time she kept her eyes on Carmen, watching the other woman's reaction.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 am

To what would probably be Silvia's horror, Carmen let our a divisive snort. "Money can't buy everything then, huh?" She continued talking very fast, not thinking about Silvia's view on this. "Six months isn't too bad for an agent, though, in intrusion work, or corporate warfare. It is to be expected. Hngf." It was a resigned noise.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Silvia nodded, apparently satisfied with Carmen's response. "Yeah, six months isn't too bad in this kind of business. But I...I was expecting there to be experienced Agents around to handle things. As it is...there's Han, but that's about it." She shrugged, a little helplessly. "Like I say, we have...a pretty high turnover. Some people dying, and some just...leaving. Usually once they have enough money, I think. The CEO doesn't seem to care."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:25 pm

"Nng. That's.. good. That makes it.. better. But someone must care. Has got to. There wouldn't be this much.. Effort.. If someone didn't care very much. Maybe not about agen--us, but the never do." There was a thoughtful look on her face as she spoke. "It sounds like the CEO has no pretenses about what other corporations lie about. We are tools to them, nothing more." Her expression soured.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Silvia's gaze moved away from Carmen, to a point somewhere off to her left. "Perhaps," she said, quietly. "That isn't how it should be. For a long time, I believed there was more to it than that. But maybe it is that way. Still," she added, "Oracle has done nothing but good for me. I swore to serve them, and that is what I will do." She hesitated, wondering if she should say her next words, but then continued anyway. "And...where do your loyalties lie? I'm...I'm sorry if that's an unpleasant question, but...but I'd like to know how far I can rely on people."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 pm

"You can't, or perhaps, should not, rely on strangers." She watched Silvia for a moment, then folded her hands in her lap. She seemed almost.. polite, gentle. "But I want what everyone wants. Freedom. To be, to live. My loyalties are simple, and lie there." Despite the simplicity of her words, she seemed to believe in them fully. "Where I worked last does not matter."
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Silvia nodded, but it was easy to see a flicker of disappointment pass over her face, despite her attempt to suppress it. "I...fair enough. That...that seems to be a common...viewpoint here. Being out for yourself. Thanks for...for telling me, though."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Silvia's interpretation of her words may not have been accurate, but the hacker smiled anyway. "And you? Dedicated to your corporation, whichever one that might be?" There was teasing in her words, as if these serious phrases were just moves in a game.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Silvia met Carmen's gaze and nodded, her expression serious. "Yes," she said, simply, holding the eye contact.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Carmen's smile widened. Her natural Mandarin was slightly accented in Russian. "That was a question of which corporation. But it does not matter. You are very.. interesting to talk to. So different from what I am used to."
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Silvia sighed and dropped her gaze. "Yeah, it...it seems like I'm fairly unusual. By Oracle standards, at least. I...I never really thought of it that way, but...I guess that's what I get for running away." She shrugged awkwardly. "I just haven't got used to it, I suppose."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:16 pm

"Mm. Could be. It's hard to.. get used to so many changes. Though as an agent, you are built for it... For change." She flashed another smile, though this one was more distant. She reached for her hat, a subtle motion that she was at least thinking of going. "Do you have any more questions for me?"
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Silvia shook her head. "No, I...that's everything. All the questions." She shrugged, in the awkward way that seemed to come naturally to her. "Sorry, I...I didn't just want this to be some kind of interrogation. Or just want your help. I'm...not very good at meeting people."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 pm

For an instant, Carmen softened. "I understand. Agents don't socialize like normal people, I've gathered." And then her cool countenance was back. She stood up, putting the hat on. Anyone who was standing wouldn't have completely been able to see her face, but Silvia could see her faint smile. "Don't worry. I'm a professional."
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:01 pm

Despite her nod, Silvia's expression was...sceptical when she heard Carmen's words, but after a struggle, she managed to return to a neutral expression. "It...it was good to talk with you. Thank you. For...talking with me. I'm...I'm sure we'll see each other on missions."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carmen on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 pm

"We will. I am in high demand, and you seem to know what you are doing. It was nice to meet you." A polite, formal greeting. She tipped her had once to her co-worker, then began to slide on a pair of red gloves before grabbing her bag and leaving.
Carmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top