The Oracle Corporation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Cybernetics EMP System

2 posters

Go down

Can Matt mess about with the cybernetics vs emp rules?

New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_lcap71%New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_lcap0%New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_lcap29%New Cybernetics EMP System I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

New Cybernetics EMP System Empty New Cybernetics EMP System

Post  Admin Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm

The system for bringing down cybernetics using EMP weapons has been in place since the beginning of Oracle and is in my opinion a bodge job. I didn't want to change it in the past since characters like Darya were focused on using EMP weapons and changing the rules on them might be unfair.
Would it be okay to muck about with the system over the next few weeks and make it more robust?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://oracle.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New Cybernetics EMP System Empty Re: New Cybernetics EMP System

Post  Khalid Nader Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 pm

I can see if I can find the stuff I started on giving different cybernetics different EMPS' if you want...

Khalid Nader

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:27 am

Not at the moment, Matt. I have a cunning plan to simplify the system, though it will probably need some tweaking and poking. EMPS changes may become more important later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Cybernetics EMP System Empty New Cybernetics EMP System

Post  Admin Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm

EMPing Cybernetics
Cybernetics are generally much more resistant to EMP than general equipment and weapons and they also have a much larger effect on their owner's abilities and stats. Keeping track of exactly what cybernetics are installed in an agent, their location in the body, their EMPS scores and so on can be difficult in Oracle games due to the heavily augmented nature of our employees.

The new system aims to simplify the effects of taking EMP damage by assuming that agents (or anyone with ICE installed) will have a bad day if their cybernetics are messed with. ICE is installed throughout an Agent's body and therefore linked in with all of their stats. Even if an agent has not specifically installed additional cybernetics they can still be disabled to some extent by EMP damage. Cybernetic devices and procedures will be brought out later to limit the effects of EMP damage.

An agent must take 25 EMP damage before their cybernetics are affected. If this happens then they must roll 1D10 and consult the following table for the results. For every additional 5 EMP damage above 25, the roll gets a +1 modifier. If an agent is hit by more EMP attacks that are powerful enough to affect their cybernetics then they roll on the table again and add the effects together. A stat can only ever be reduced to a minimum of 1.

RollEffect
1-2-1 to a random stat
3-4-1 to 3 random stats
5-6-1 to 5 random stats
7-1 to all stats
8-1 to all stats, -1 to 3 more random stats
9-1 to all stats, -1 to 5 more random stats
10-2 to all stats
11-2 to all stats, agent can now be knocked out
12+Agent is knocked out for 1D6 rounds while they reboot
Rebooting Cybernetics
EMP damage only causes cybernetics to turn off or develop temporary problems, it does not damage them permanently. Under most situations the negative side effects of being EMP'd will naturally disappear after an hour or so as the cybernetics and the agent's body readjust or the cybernetics simply reboot themselves. Rebooting cybernetics during a time-sensitive mission or combat requires a cybernetics toolkit and a successful Intelligence + Cybernetics check. A successful roll will remove the penalties from a single stat, or make an agent unable to be knocked out once more. Under most situations this process will take one minute (or ~10 rounds of combat), though equipment and trainings can improve this.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Cybernetics EMP System Empty Field Cybernetics

Post  Admin Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:46 pm

New Training: Field Cybernetics
Cybernetics & Robotics 5
While a field surgeon can put the organic parts of an ally back together in the middle of a fire fight, only a field cybernetician can do the same with the complex mechtronics inside every agent. If a piece of cybernetics has been heavily damaged, such as by a pulping attack, a field cybernetician can use the equipment from a cybernetics & robotics toolkit, salvaged components and 1 minute of time to make an Intelligence + Cybernetics & Robotics check with a -8 penalty to the AT. If successful the cybernetic is restored to working order, but at condition 1, so all doubles rolled while utilizing the cybernetic become critical failures.
Furthermore, when restoring EMP'd cybernetics the cybernetician's checks are made in half the time (30 seconds/5 rounds instead of one minute/10 rounds in most cases).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khalid Nader Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm

My main issue with the system, thinking it over, is that EMP weapons, particularly the EMP cannon is now, with actually fairly little effort put into the build, even more powerful than before. Just having one of the two trainings that up it's power (Targetter, Overcharge) allows it to on average hit 7 or 8 on the table before we bring in WF weapons or mastery. This could possibly be overcome by limiting the stat decrease to 5 instead of one? (effectively reducing the agent to human average)

Another issue is handling things like geo-sonar or smeakers which provide non-stat based ability boosts. Do we just assume that they go offline?

Khalid Nader

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Khalid Nader wrote:My main issue with the system, thinking it over, is that EMP weapons, particularly the EMP cannon is now, with actually fairly little effort put into the build, even more powerful than before. Just having one of the two trainings that up it's power (Targetter, Overcharge) allows it to on average hit 7 or 8 on the table before we bring in WF weapons or mastery. This could possibly be overcome by limiting the stat decrease to 5 instead of one? (effectively reducing the agent to human average)
I like the idea of setting the minimum stat at 5 instead of 1. I think I will also reduce the effect of the stunning from 1D6 rounds to 1 round. Sort of representing the agent's systems momentarily being overloaded, but not actually turned off. Unfortunately the system will need quite a bit of testing to balance it correctly.

Another issue is handling things like geo-sonar or smeakers which provide non-stat based ability boosts. Do we just assume that they go offline?
That is a good point about the smeakers especially. I think they should at least become unreliable, since that gives you guys a way of knocking out communications for a few seconds while you have a combat. Not that silencing someone's smeakers would be simple or easy under most situations.

Perhaps when attempting to use a cybernetic that doesn't simply boost a stat and suffering from EMP-based penalties there is a 90% chance that the cybernetic will not perform its intended function. Does that seem like a sensible way to handle this without getting too detailed? Once the system is a bit more stable I will try and come up with things like EMP boosters for cybernetics, or equipment to make EMP less scary in some situations.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down