Week 73: A Nighttime Run

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 73: A Nighttime Run

Post  Fenris on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 am

Fenris surged through the darkness, building up more and more speed as she sped across the rooftops, not even noticing the small gaps between the buildings, her sights set on the apartment tower in front of her. As she came to the main highway, she had to get a bit more creative Heading towards an old billboard jutting from the building, her momentum allowed her to run up the face before diving for the power cables following the road and swinging across to the other side, continuing at her break neck pace. (Athletics pass by 5)

Last edited by Fenris on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 73: A Nighttime Run

Post  Hugo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:52 am

While Fenris jumped easily across highway, she was watched. The figure on the opposite side of the raised road watched her go, and then followed. It was trying to stick to the shadows, following her across the rooftops... but its footsteps were heavy enough for the agent to notice as it clambered along behind her.

It appeared to be tall, dressed all in gray. A fluttery, slinky cape drifted in the air behind it as it followed Fenris. It wasn't trying to catch her, but it did seem to want to.. catch up.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Fenris continued on, seemingly ignoring the figure tailing her. In a short space of time, she had covered the distance between her and the apartment block. And making sure she kept ahead,she dove onto a balcony that looked uninhabited, and disappeared inside.

She quickly took stock of the shell of an apartment she was in, ducking through a door, and fading into the shadows on the other side. She silently drew her knife and waited. (agility athletics pass by 5 including freerunning chase bonus'. Agility stealth pass by 9.)
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Fenris was graceful and lithe, but the figure following her made her catlike reflexes look like the dying throws of a cow. (Pass his own freerunning check by 18.) It followed easily, landing with a soft thud on the balcony. For a moment, it was silhouetted in the city's glow. It was broad shouldered, and.. masculine, yes, definitely masculine, and he had a cape. His face was hidden in a skin tight suit of some kind, and in the orange glow Fenris could see the inside of his cape and the piping on his shirt were a bright lime green.

He looked around, squinting. He didn't move closer; apparently he couldn't see her. "Hello? I know you haven't left yet." His voice was deep and gravelly, but almost.. artificially so, as if he was altering it to be unrecognizable.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 am

Fenris didn't say a word. She crouched to pick up a bit of debris, before padding trough the dark room, and gently tossing it into the main corridor, mimicking the sounds of it being kicked. She then fled back to the deep shadows to see it the stranger took the bait. (Agility L&A pass by 5, Agility Stealth pass by 13)
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:15 am

The stranger did indeed take a few steps in the room, but he looked into the shadows where she had thrown the detritus only briefly. He looked to the other side of the room where she was, but he didn't move closer. He cross his arms. "I just wanted to talk. Oh! Are you not from Seoul? Do you speak English?" His voice stayed the same, with its artificial deepness in all languages, each spoken with perfect fluency. (Pass Per+Obvs by 6.)
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:44 am

Fenris edged round the room, until she was standing near the door leading deeper into the building, prepared to make a break for it should the strange man prove to be hostile. All the time she kept her gaze firmly locked on him, to see if he was following her, and to check he didn't have a shield up. When she did talk she was trying to sound dangerous and intimidating, and was a lot more convincing than she normal. "Speak. Quickly." (Agility Stealth pass by 8, Pres Attitude pass by 1)
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 am

The stranger did have a covert shield up, but he stood in the doorway to the balcony, not moving any closer even as his eyes followed her as she moved. He took a second to change his posture, undoing his crossed arms and holding them loosely at his sides. "I.." His voice sounded almost boyish, and then he cleared his throat before speaking again in his gritty, lower tones. "I ..Wanted to say.. hello. You move like I do! You're faster than most people. And I wanted to know if.. you were.. like me."
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Once Fenris had determined that he could still see her, she gave up trying to hide from the new comer. She took a step backwards, rising out of her fighting stance, but making it easier to flee. "Like you?"
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 pm

"Yooou know.." He moved his arm back a little, making his cape flutter. From her slightly closer position, she could see the outline of his eyes in lime green. He shrugged. "Or.. maybe you don't. I'm a hero." He seemed almost apologetic about it, the masculine darkness of his voice lightening a bit. He tilted his head putting his hands on his hips. "Is Mandarin not your favorite language? We can speak any other language. I know them all." He seemed perfectly cheerful, and even more relaxed.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Fenris sighed inwardly. "A Hero?" She hoped to the gods that it wasn't what she thought, so she was just going to assume this was actually serious for now. "A Hero to who?" There was still a fair bit of tension in her voice. It was clear the tall woman was not ready to trust this stranger.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:58 pm

"Oh, er.. I think it's more just heroing in general. Not for anyone, really." He gestured vaguely to the open balcony, and took a step back towards the open space. His arms were long, his hands broad, and he seemed relaxed. "I guess maybe we could say I'm a hero for normal people, but I'm not even good enough to get a name yet." He seemed a little disappointed at that, shrugging again.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:26 pm

This time she sighed outwardly, "So you're just playing at being a Superhero? Really?" The disdain in her voice was evident, and she completely relaxed now. No one this ridiculous could be that dangerous to an agent. "How old are you?"
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 pm

There was a little pause as the hero pursed his lips. "...I don't see how age is relevant. And it's not a game, not really." He turned away and leaned on the balcony, sighing heavily as he looked out over the old city. His back was to Fenris now, but he seemed to trust her enough--or trust in himself enough--to not find her threatening. "I mean, I have shotguns, they have guns, or knives.. So it's not really a game. Mostly I just stop muggings or people being hurt in the street. No one takes notice of that. Well, no one big, anyway. And it's a quiet night tonight." He sounded content with his lack of business, and continued looking into the distance at Seoul proper.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:16 pm

At the mention of shotguns, Fenris put her knife away, close combat looking infinitely less desirable. After a brief pause, she shrugged to herself, approaching a bit closer. "So you're an actual vigilante. Why bother with the Super hero crap then?" She joined the figure at the balcony, subtly looking over the edge so check for the best place to jump off. "You would be far more effective if no-one knew who was doing it."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:31 pm

The hero turned around to look at her and shrugged. "I want them to fear the night. No, no. I want them to fear being.. bad. About hurting people who have been hurt enough, you know?" He extended a hand to the mostly dark streets below. "But I can't not do anything, you know. I cannot call myself a moral being and not try to protect those who need protecting."

"...Like all sentient beings, it eventually boils down to me, me, me. And this--" He gestured again to the distant ground, "--This city--has ended up being mine mine mine by the mere fact of ever strengthening growing ethos."

He sighed again, but softly.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:28 am

Fenris chuckled to herself as her acquaintance spoke of causing fear. "Hahaha! Do you actually think fear will make any difference? The gangs will always fear the Ai Jinn more, and the Ai Jinn will just kill you as soon as you become annoying."

She stared into the cityscape for a while considering his words, "You say a moral being has to protect people, but stopping muggings is just going to make things worse. If I were them, I would deal out some reprisals, hurt those people who were saved. The only way to deal with these things is to take out the head. But even then, nothing will change. People are always going to suffer, they always do. The corps are built on it. It's the only way to maintain control. People do what they are told to avoid the consequences." She quietened down again, waiting to see what he said.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:43 am

"Oh no, I don't deal with.. gangs. Extortion, their warfare. No. This is.. little crimes. The things people do for drugs, on drugs. Petty theft. Rape." He leaned on the railing, taking a deep but satisfied breath. "I'm just a little hero. I told you, I don't have a name yet. Gangs are in the future. A million, billion years from now. And if doesn't matter if they come after me. I don't have a choice. I can't let people suffer without trying to help."

He shook his head. The tight suit that clung to his rather muscular body covered his head and his face, leaving only his lips unobstructed. He turned to look at her, green eye-plates glowing slightly. "So, what's your real language? You sound like a robot." He smiled. The gritty graveness to his voice was almost completely gone by now, replaced by much more gentle, almost childlike tones.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm

She shrugged, returning his smile. "Well. I guess I'll just have to sound like a robot then." There was a brief pause before Fenris continued. "And people are going to suffer regardless. You're better off focusing on the people that matter. That way you can make an actual difference. But then if you make a difference, they will react to you, and not necessarily in a way you can predict." She was musing to herself more than talking to the other figure, having never considered vigilantism beyond the occasional bounty.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

The hero shrugged. "I'm lucky. The people who matter can take care of themselves." He looked down, and sighed gently. "Well, the people who matter to me. The people who matter to them are a bit more.. ...fragile." His gloved hands tightened on the railing. "Fragile and.. hesitant. Inaction may as well be agreement with the status quo. The only way to avoid conflict is to do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. And I must be something."

He looked back to her, the seriousness in his words fading. "And what are you doing, wandering around the old city, if you're not making the world a better place?"
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Fenris just looked at him. "I was running. What did it look like? The Old city gives you more freedom, without having to worry about trespassing, or any of that crap."

She turned back to look out over the city. "No-one said anything about avoiding conflict. Just focusing on what's important. The rest... Doesn't really matter."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 pm

"By definition, what is not important doesn't matter." He smiled a little more. "And you're still trespassing, but they aren't as fast on the guns here. They don't ask questions, either."

He looked back at the strange agent, taking her in. She looked fairly normal for someone who was bounding from rooftop to rooftop. "What were you running to, then? It's pretty late at night. Got a date?"
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 pm

"Ha! No! No, I'm just... Running. For the sake of running, you know? And I never said I wasn't trespassing, just that I don't need to worry about it here." She in turn looked at the strange man, trying to work out where he might be from.

Fenris turned her back on the city, leaning with her elbows on the rail. "So what made you decide to become a "Hero" rather than just fighting criminals?" The quotation marks were clearly audible. Fenris still had trouble taking the idea seriously.
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugo on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 pm

The hero laughed a little. "There's not really a difference, is there? Except I am wearing a costume. It's... the smartest move for me, and I think I look pretty cool, right? Plus, it's armored, and has stealth stuff." He chuckled a little more, seeming younger than his impressive height would suggest. He shook head head, once again eyeing Fenris. "It's important to hide your identity, right?" There was a tiny bit of smirk in his smile as he focused at the woman who didn't want to reveal her own language, let alone her name.
Hugo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenris on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Fenris gave a little shrug, conceding the point. "But you're still giving them an identity, just not your normal one. It would make more sense to just be a passer by." And after looking him up and down, seeing for herself how "cool" his costume was... She just shook her head to herself, and kept quiet, not wanting to be rude.

In an attempt to cover the silence Fenris pushed herself off the balcony and wandered inside, exploring the apartment. "Surely it would be better to blend in to the crowd, look normal, rather than standing out as much as you do."
Fenris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top