Week 71: Down at the Range

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Week 71: Down at the Range

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 am

As shooting ranges went, it wasn't fantastic - certainly a far cry from the setups Stephen was used to, back in Federation territory. But it was still a shooting range, containing all the important elements thereof: stalls, targets, weapons, and ammo - and it could certainly have been a lot worse. So it would do, Stephen thought. For now, at least.

At that moment, he was sitting at a table at the back of the basement ranges (the pistol section was upstairs, sharing space with the main shop, but the rifle ranges were situated underground, running the length of the building), tapping away at a ballistics program on his PDA and occasionally inspecting the sniper rifle sat on the table next to him. From time to time, he looked up and glanced around the establishment, particularly when a new shooter appeared and set up in a stall, appraising their performance with an approving nod or a slight shake of the head before returning his attention to his own tools.
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Week 71: Down at the Range

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 am

As Silvia headed down the stairs to the basement and through the door, her eyes flickered over the other patrons - mostly civilians, but a couple of augmented people and one foreign Agent over there (he reminded her a bit of Ace) with a sniper rifle in exceptionally good shape. She made a mental note of that - an unusual sight. One hand was holding her own trusty rifle - a basic and rather old AMS model that had evidently seen a great deal of use, although it was well-maintained and seemed to have a few components that were rather newer.

"Well, here we are," she said quietly to Tansai, pausing just inside the door. "It's not much, but if you want to get a bit of training in with tactical stuff, it'll do."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:39 am

Tansai nodded, awkwardly cradling a null laser rifle in her arms. She figured that it would be the safest weapon for her, having not fired a rifle or a heavy weapon since the early training days where you tried everything just in case you needed to in the field. "I'll have a go." she said gamely, heading over to one of the booths, frowning at the noise that some of the nearby shooters were making. It was about as much as a fairly gun heavy mission, but she wasn't here to risk her life....or get mildly annoyed. "Want to switch to smeaker?" she asked over the Oracle public channels. "I might switch my hearing off."
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:48 am

Sure thing, Silvia replied over the same channel. It is a bit noisy in here, that's true. With that, her spare hand reached into a pocket and pulled out a pair of ear defenders, before deftly applying them one-handed.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:55 am

Stephen had been watching the two women as they came in, hiding a chuckle with his hand as he saw the short chinese one awkwardly handling a range laser rifle, but his eyebrows raised at the brief smeaker exchange. He looked thoughtful for a moment, then stood up and slung the rifle over his shoulder before casually wandering over to a spot where he could get a clearer view of Tansai's first attempts at the targets, leaning against the wall and watching intently. He was curious to see how well she did, and whether or not she noticed the creepy giant Federation agent watching her.
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Whether or not Tansai noticed, Silvia certainly did (Per+Obs pass by 10). She didn't show it, though, simply following Tansai to the range and making sure she knew where their newly acquired shadow was. Don't look, she smeakered to her fellow Agent, still over the public channels, but there's a Fed guy watching us. Probably harmless, but you never know.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 am

"If they try anything we can just leave. Doubt he can stop both of us." The confidence in Tansai's voice was somewhat belayed by the awkward way she leveled rifle at the target, like she was trying to fire a pistol and was confused by the extra size. Despite this, her first shot was a clean hit, the second one just burning a hole next to the target.
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 am

His lazy attempt at stealth easily defeated, Stephen touched two fingers to his forehead in a casual salute the next time Silvia or Tansai glanced in his direction, adding his own commentary to the smeaker channel.

"Don't you worry none, ladies. I assure you I ain't gonna try anything - I know enough to know that the pair of you probably have more dangerous weapons hidin' under your skin than everyone else in this place is packin'. Even if you can barely hold a rifle." At that, he pushed off from the wall and meandered over to the pair, continuing, "Name's Stephen Lincoln. I'm afraid I don't think we've had the pleasure of bein' introduced?"
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 am

At the sudden intrusion into their smeaker conversation, Silvia tensed, and somebody watching closely would have seen the skin on her arms ripple slightly, as though something underneath was moving. Then, as her brain processed the words that were being said, she relaxed slightly and her skin ceased to move. She turned to fully face him and took a moment to assess him before replying.

Uh...hello. You're the new Agent? Well...newest, anyway, she added in a slightly uncertain tone as she remembered just how new she was. I'm...my name's Tsubaki. But...uh, you can call me Silvia. And this is Tansai. We're...Tansai's trying to get the hang of rifles. She's not used to them.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 am

Tansai nodded, now holding the rifle in one of her arms, the other by her side in a sleeve. She carefully began aiming the next shot while gently dropping a couple of small spheres back into her pocket. The shot was closer towards the centre of the target this time, but when it came time to fire the second one, there was a slight humming noise as she accidentally overloaded the rifle's inside.

"Now look, you distracted me!" she said looking around the sniper, winking. "Pleased to meet you."
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 am

"Well, howdy to the both of you," Stephen said magnanimously. "It's nice to see you in person, Miss Tansai, and a pleasure to meet you both." He smiled briefly as he offered the pleasantries, but his face quickly resumed a neutral expression. "I must admit I didn't expect to see any co-workers down here, but I guess great minds think alike. Best range I could find in the local area, at least."

He spared a glance for Tansai's overheated laser, and made a disapproving expression at it. "Typical low-grade crap energy weapon. Jus' let it vent for a moment and the thing'll be fine. You want something reliable, though, shoulda gone with a kinetic," he advised sagely, patting his own rifle for emphasis. "And if you want power, go with plasma. Lasers are toys for Shi-Yukiro boys," he went on to declare, just before his common sense caught up with him. He looked guiltily to Silvia. "Uh, no offence."
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 am

Tansai shrugged. "I figured this would be the least damaging thing I could be waving around...though I guess a pacifier clip might have worked." She shrugged and tapped the side of the gun, opening a vent system and filling the immediate area with the slight smell of burnt plastic that laser weapon jams created. At least that was similar enough to a laser pistol that she knew how to do it.
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:02 am

"None taken," Silvia replied, having taken her ear defenders off by now, and hefted her own, kinetic, rifle. "This one's done me twelve years and it's still as good as ever. Once took out a Fed from a kilometre away through thick undergrowth - headshot, direct as you please. Never even knew I was there," she added, wistfully...and then her own brain caught up with her mouth and her expression rapidly shifted to horror. "Oh...uh...no offence. Sorry. I should have...um. Sorry."

There was an awkward moment as she opened her mouth a couple of times, and then dived on a subject of conversation that wasn't quite so controversial. "The range, it...it's not great. But there aren't really many around here."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 am

"Wait a minute... headshot from a click in the under- shit! You shot Bill!" Stephen gasped, a look of horror on his face, slowly raising an accusatory finger to point at Silvia - then he was unable to restrain himself from breaking into a grin and chuckling. "Naw, I'm just kidding. Still, a headshot from that distance in obscured terrain is a tricky thing to pull off. You must be pretty handy with that rifle. Speaking of the range, though - well, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Still gotta do my reading," he announced, cryptically. "You gonna give that target another go, Miss Tansai?"
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 am

"Sil, you do realise you just boasted about killing a guy in a public place right?" asked Tansai lightly, still fiddling with the gun. "Yeah, I'm just waiting for this thing to cool down. Don't want to turn around and fry it again."

After a few more seconds, she seemed satisfied, and turned back to the target, again landing one shot into the chest before the second went wide.
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:29 am

Stephen watched Tansai's second attempts at the target, nodding as she scored the first hit but then frowning when the second shot went wide.

"If you don't mind a spot of advice, it seems to me like you're a lot more familiar with handlin' pistols. Judgin' by your stance, at least. You want to use a rifle, you gotta compensate for the forward mass a lot more, can't just put all the strain on the grip. 'Least with the laser you don't have to worry much about recoil on top of it," Stephen said, shrugging at the last comment. "But your sightin' is good, if control could be better. Seems you've got a good eye on you," he approved. "Give it some practice, get to grips with handling the bigger guns, you'll be puttin' holes in targets ten times outta ten, no problem."
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Silvia's face went a slightly odd colour as Stephen did his accusatory routine, before a clear expression of relief as he revealed his joke and then a slightly surprised smile at Stephen's compliment.

"I'm...not too bad," she said, a little dismissively. "I mean, good enough to keep using it. Well...mostly. I've been using other stuff recently as well. Cybernetics, bio-implants. Could probably do with a bit of practice."

At Stephen's advice to Tansai, she nodded in agreement, replying to the other woman's comment over smeaker. I...yes, I guess I did. But...most people here have probably done some fighting. Besides, it was in the wilds. Nobody tries to police there.[/color]

Last edited by Silvia Tsukuda on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tansai Kay on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 am

Tansai nodded as Stephen gave his advice, trying to shift her grip to a firmer stance, putting her second arm closer to the middle of the barrel. Holding down the trigger, she fired once, the shot neatly embedding itself in the target, and shifted her grip again, moving her hand a bit...and knocking the energy cell out of it's proper position as she did so. She held down the trigger again and no shot came out. Frowning, she tried again, and the barrel suddenly heated up very quickly as the casing connected with the energy cell. An even more rancid smell of burning filled the air. ((OOC: Double 10 with 0 tactical firearms.))

She turned to the other two and sounded rather embarrassed. "It happened again."
Tansai Kay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:32 am

"Shit," Stephen announced concisely, grabbing the malfunctioning firearm from Tansai and swiftly yanking the energy cell out of place before the gun started genuinely melting. "You - how did you even - there are supposed to be safety..." he stammered in amazement, looking back and forth between the cell and the gun in his hands, then sighed.

"Shitty range rifles. It's cool. Let's just, uh, put this one back, and then you could try somethin' else, yeah? They must have a kinetic target plinker or two in this place we could use to get your stance right," he said, looking around at the selection to see if he could spot anything more suitable. "Half a mind to ditch this joint and its shitty guns though," he went on in a mutter. "Already got my trigger pull down again and the range is still too small to be much good for practice."
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 am

Silvia looked at the gun with a mixture of amusement and embarrassment, seeing as she was the one who had suggested the range. "That...uh, yeah...they're not meant to do that," she muttered, squinting a little at the firearm to try and work out exactly what had happened. "Maybe...uh...maybe we should make a move. We can probably find somewhere outdoors or something that we can use for a range. Do...you know anywhere?" she tried, directing her question at Stephen, seeing as he seemed to be the tactical firearms expert.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Lincoln on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:01 am

"This was the best place I could find local, don't know a better range we could go to," Stephen mused, putting the laser down on a nearby table. "But you're right that goin' outside somewhere might be better. Hm." He absentmindedly scratched at his stubble as he pondered the issue.

"Tell you what," he suddenly volunteered, "if y'all got some free time next week, I'll head outside town and scout out a decent site for some shootin' practice, then I can take you ladies out for a trip for a day or two, and we can get some practice in. How's that sound?"
Stephen Lincoln

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

"That sounds...good," Silvia replied, glancing at Tansai for confirmation. "I mean, we might not have a lot of free time next week, but it'd be good to get some practice in. I'm...probably a bit rusty." She glanced down a little guiltily at her rifle at that. "And it'd be good to get outside to do some practice. Much nicer than an indoor range. And it'd be good to actually do something with you, Stephen. I mean...meet you properly, and all."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top