Week 51: Han Comes A-Calling

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Week 51: Han Comes A-Calling

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Sosie shrugged a frail shoulder as her daughter left the room at some speed. The cyberwolf at the cyberneticist's feet watched her hands move. The plasma scalpel moved inside Ren, and there were tiny sizzling noises and things inside of her were cut. "You're asking two questions there. I can turn her on in a few minutes, once I have the necessary cords, but installing her battery will take longer. A few hours to get it to like-new functionality. Minor repairs and cosmetic damage will be an hour or so on top of that. Maybe more if some of her circuits got overloaded. Thankfully, I have the spare parts." She sighed softly, moving the scalpel and an arm out of Ren. She gave a fierce tug, sending Ren's body momentarily convulsing, and pulled out a large cylinder. Plasma damage caused burned streaks to course up and down the weird, organic metal shape Sosie half-ripped from Ren's chest. A fistful of yellow tubes sprouted from the top of the cylinder, flopping and lolling as she yoinked. "Easy repairs for major organs were one of the first things I pushed for in Muse development. No need to spend days repairing someone so vital to customer's lives." Her hand went back in, and she began cutting more wet sounding things inside the replicant.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Han nodded. "I see." His voice conveyed perfectly that he didn't, beyond "A few hours." He looked over the replicant thoughtfully, while summarily failing to comprehend anything beyond the most obvious basics and the importance of not touching any of it.

"Well then...maybe we could talk about something else. Like why you hired two of Phoenix's mercenaries for something that even Xu didn't keep records from. Why on earth did you need a neurotech person?" Han's voice was even, light, but still serious.
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Sosie looked up from freeing the damaged PSC4, meeting Han's eyes. Her lip twitched, and after a moment it spread into a suspicious grin. Something that sounded like leather went THUNK inside of Ren's chest, and the replicant smith pulled out the large cylinder. One of her brows raised, and she dropped the damaged power unit on the table by Ren's naked arm. "You're kidding, right?"

At this moment, Bell walked back into the room, one arm carrying a similar looking cylinder, and the other a custom toolkit. Sosie took the toolkit first, and then looked back to Han, realizing he.. hadn't realized. Her voice was mockingly amused. "You didn't notice the stapler when you walked in?"

She fished a series of wires and adapters from the toolkit, and began hurriedly plugging them together.

SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Han shot Sosie a look. "As you'll recall, Sosie, my training was never in the study of technology beyond the basic mechanical stuff. I don't know what half this mad science bu..." He broke off as Sosie's statement sunk in, his blood turning to ice.

"Sosie, when you say stapler, tell me you don't mean Neural Stapler, the things used to make Meat Dolls. Because I should warn you straight up, the last group I met using a Neural Stapler all died, largely from shotgun wounds."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 pm

"Mm," added Sosie, amused at Han's instant defensive reaction, "Except for the one that exploded on Xu, I presume." She plugged an X-pin ended wire into one of her adapters, and gently massaged soft skin in the crook of Ren's arm before sticking the X-pin into it. She gave Han a wicked little smile, made a little more malevolent by her black rimmed, swollen eyes. "And you may feel safe with your guns, but you're in my house. Please don't threaten me."

Bell, next to her mother, ignored threats and jabber about meatdolls, and gently stroked Ren's dark hair. She went back to holding the other replicant's hand, anticipation clear on her face like few other emotions had been.

"Use your brain, Han. Don't just demand. Think." Sosie's voice was slightly bitter, hoarse, commanding. "You were born with a brain. Use it. Why would I, someone who makes replicants and accepts them as her family, ever want to make a meatdoll?" She rolled her eyes, and extended a plug to Bell. "Plug that in." She slid a hand in Ren and began adding something to her insides that clicked when pressure was applied.

Last edited by SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 pm

"You're right, you're right, I shouldn't jump to conclusions. For what it's worth, I'm not even armed right now. Well...except the monocoil whip in my finger, the ossi knife on my leg and the Balisong fitted into the handle of the the cart. But I left the guns in the van. Didn't want to threaten, didn't come here to intimidate." He held up his hands, demonstrating his lack of equipped weaponry.

"But at the end of the day, I only know one thing that a Neural Stapler can do, and that's making Meat Dolls. So please, for my own piece of mind, tell me why you have a Neural Stapler. I mean, if you're using it to try and repair some kind of neurological damage or undo the effects of one or something, just say. Otherwise, what am I supposed to conclude, other then maybe you're looking to inflict the ultimate punishment on someone?"
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Sosie's eyes raised to Han once before turning back to Ren. She nodded once and murmured Bell. "Let's give it a minute and then we can turn her on. Her brain looks undamaged but I want to make sure she has an even charge before we continue." The replicant smith moved a now slightly damp arm from Ren and sighed. She bend low to pick up her bathrobe, but instead of putting it on her barely clad body, she threw it over the open hole in Ren's chest. She began to tie the rob around Ren's body, disguising the damage. "We got the stapler since I didn't think we would be able to steal a full machine from Itoma." She shook her head, finishing off tying the robe with a bow. "A stapler can do everything a full neurostatics machine can do, if you have a skilled technician."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 pm

A look of relief ran across Han's face. "Oh thank god. At least she survived Ban then. That's good, very good." He paused. "So...why do you need a neurostatics machine? Trying to restore someone from backup illegally? Or have you got some other plan in mind?"
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Sosie didn't meet Han's eyes, her lips twisting strangely in a crooked smile. "Something like that. But.. it doesn't matter now." Her voice dropped, and she bent her head low, checking a wire that she had just inserted into Ren. She was obviously avoiding eye contact, and her voice seemed much sadder, more hollow. Her lips twitched some more into a partial smile, but it was a very dark look. "It broke the first time we used it. Mmnh, Ai Jinn workmanship." Her hands balled into knots. "Go look if you want. It'll take a bit before she's ready to be powered on."

Next to Sosie, Bell looked briefly at Han, then went back to gently moving Ren's knotted hair from her face.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 am

"I see." His brow furrowed, and it was obvious he was clearly suspicious. "Well, as long as my employees didn't get up to anything illegal and/or traceable back to Phoenix, I don't need to know. If they did, I'd appreciate knowing in advance." He turned in the direction of the stapler.

"Doesn't seem like theres much point, I wouldn't know what I was looking at even if I did." He shrugged. "Shoddy Ai-Jinn construction sounds right. They'll build superstructures in space more intricate then you can scarcely imagine...but then they'll fit the cheapest plumbing that leaks at every joint to save a few credits. Still never understood how they've got all this tech that even the UIG don't have, and I was raised by them..."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 am

Sosie looked up slightly, eyes still hidden by the uneven spiked of her short hair. "They did nothing illegal. Sumiko and Zheng are very.. thoughtful, forthright people. If I was doing something they disagreed with, I hope they would have told me... Or you, I guess." She shrugged a shoulder, and the sadness leeched out of her broken voice. She seemed more comfortable looking at Ren. Her voice dropped, softer, more gentle, as she looked briefly from Bell to Han. "When I turn her on, she will need to be plugged in to function. She won't be able to move much... And she might be upset. It'll certainly be disconcerting for her."

Bell only nodded. The little replicant folded her hand around Ren's wrist, applying gentle pressure as she held it. Sosie slid her hand under the robe a flicked something inside. "Booting up now."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

Ren's face twitched, her shapely mouth distorting first on one side, then the other. Then her whole body convulsed once, twice and she opened her eyes. And then gasped, looking around like a caged animal.

"Wha...where...who are you? Sosie? Han? What happened?" Then her face twisted in what was apparently anger. "That BASTARD!" she shouted, bringing one fist down with a thump.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:26 am

"Easy, Ren. It's okay. You're safe. Sosie here is gonna fix you up, just like new. Just please stay calm, and tell us what Ban did to you."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:31 am

Bell's mouth opened, but she couldn't even begin to think of what she wanted to say. Tears welled up in the corners of her bright green doll-like eyes, and she dived for Ren, wrapping her arms around the other replicant's neck. Dozens of permission requests popped up in Ren's mind, access to security to give her single living friend the most root welcome one synthetic artificial intelligence could give another. If Ren doubted where she was, there could be no doubt now.

Sosie meanwhile, just sighed softly, a weak smile coming to her lips. "You're safe, Ren. You're home. You'll been offline for almost a week now."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 am

Ren seemed somewhat taken aback by all the sudden activity, though she put her arms around her fellow replicant and took a moment to process what was going on. "He...he wanted me to blow myself up," she said, finally, her voice trembling slightly. "For his own sake. How...how could he?"
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

Sosie blinked, hard. Her face fell. She put a hand on Ren's back, soothingly, petting around the wound. "Humans think replicants are tools..." She looked down and to the side. Xu had told Sosie himself he would have done anything to survive, but she had hoped her would have been better than that, especially to poor Ren. Her other hand balled up against her bare leg while she tried to sooth and calm the distraught replicant. "That why I disable kill switches whenever I can. I'm sorry, I should have told you."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 am

"Xu thought everyone was a tool." Han said, his voice low. "I came to accept that about him, even though I considered him a friend, I knew I was first and foremost a means to an end to him."

Han sat down. "I don't know what to say, beyond sorry."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Ren made a move as though she was about to talk, and then stopped, frowning. "Wait...he's dead, isn't he?" Her voice was weary, as though this was expected, but still unpleasant. "I...what happened? Why am I here? If I was...offline, that means I was killed, right?" She said the words carefully, as though they tasted odd. "I just...I remember talking to Xu and then...everything kind of...went dark for a second, and there was an error message and then...I was here. Could...could you explain?" She sounded...sharper than she had done when people had met her previously, more aware of what was going on. But there was still that air of suppressed fear that had been there since Daorong's death.
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Bell pulled back, keeping her hands on Ren's shoulders. Tears were still streaming down her face, and her mouth moved wordlessly as if the small replicant had forgotten how to talk. Sosie watched Ren's face, brows knit slightly. While Sosie talked Bell tried to explain in her own words, pictures, numbers, and cold hard footage. "You and Xu went on a mission to save Han's girlfriend, remember? You and he were captured, and you were killed temporarily. It looks like you were hit with a large plasma blade. Your power unit was completely destroyed. Right now you're connected to adapters and the house electricity."

Sosie sighed briefly, taking her hand from Ren's back, and pulling another cord from her toolkit. She plugged it into the back of Ren's head. "Just a diagnostic tool on your cybernetics, if you could give it permission to run. After you were killed, Xu went up for auction in the Interchange. He was purchased by the Shi Yukiro and immediately executed." Sosie's voice sounded very distant and clinical, detached from the whole thing, or perhaps life itself. Bell provided pictures and details from her own experience, each tinged with worry and anxiety. The footage of the murder itself was obviously copied form someone's U-view. Bell was still crying, large eyes closed as tears leaked out. Ren had certainly never seen nor heard or otherwise experienced that much emotion from the tiny replicant.

"Han says you showed up in Phoenix," finished Sosie, looking at one of the nearby terminals.
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:17 am

Ren let Bell pull away, although she kept her hand on the smaller replicant's arm. As Sosie talked, she nodded, an expression of unsurprised melancholy appearing on her face, and her hand tightened on Bell's arm. As Sosie finished, she sighed.

"We...expected something like that. In fact, I..." she swallowed, rather nervously. "I wasn't expecting to come back." She paused, a thoughtful and slightly scared expression creeping over her face. "I am back, right? This isn't some sort of...simulation?"
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

"Truth be told, I'm as surprised as you are. Pleasantly surprised, mind you, but in truth I didn't expect to see you returned in anything close to salvageable. But I assure you, this is no simulation, it's the pure, honest, unfiltered reality."

Han bowed his head in sorrow. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry for allowing you to be captured like that."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

At the mention of a simulation, Bell threw herself back on Ren, clinging desperately. She buried her face in Ren's neck, whimpering, finally able to find words. "I-I thought y-you were gone for-forever!" Her eyes were still closed, her face now wet. "I.. don't care if it's a simulation," she whimpered, pulling the other replicant closer.

Sosie ignored her daughter, and looked over to Han for a moment. There was a puzzled expression on her exhausted face, as if she was trying to figure him out. She looked away, and tapped the screen in front of her, brows knitting. Han and the rest of the world were immediately forgotten, as the last 20 years of Sosie's training took over. "Humans think of replicants as tools. You were likely returned with the rest of Xu's possessions." Her voice was slightly dismissive, and she frowned. "I wouldn't say you were close to salvageable, though. I have the spare power source, but the get you like-new someone would have had find or make the PSC4. They are rare, and rigidly controlled by Gemini. ...Mmmostly." She waved a hand while her other fingers moved and pulled at various charts on the screen. "You could have made do with a JUPS2 through 9 model, maybe, but with reduced functionality. You might have been able to repair it, but there's no way it would have maintained a charge. Someone skilled at working with.. less.. might have been able to do more, but the power units are notoriously hard to remake." She sighed a little, letting her hand flop down to her side. "Quick and easy replacements, if you have the technology and money. A compromise Krieg made me live with. Mm, hmm."
SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvia Tsukuda on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Ren let Sosie talk - the cyberneticist seemed to be talking about spare parts and while she didn't mind, exactly, there were more pressing concerns right now and she could always talk about her internals later. Instead, she put her arms around Bell and hugged the smaller replicant, murmuring to her.

"It's all right, Bell, I'm here," she said, softly. "I'm back, I'm safe. I promise you, I'm not going to leave you alone again." There was the faint glint of tears in her eyes. "I remember what it was like, and I'm not going to do that to you again. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."
Silvia Tsukuda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HanJi on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am

Han chimed in at this moment, it seemed an oppurtune time. "Ren... I can't ever make up for failing both you and Xu, but I can give you something right now. A choice."

He smiled weakly. "With Xu's death, your legal ownership passed to me. But I realise that we barely know each other, whereas you and Bell are clearly friends. If you would like, you are welcome to return to Phoenix. However, if you would prefer to stay here, with Bell and Sosie, assuming Sosie agrees, I would be more then willing to allow you."
HanJi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SosieTerrehaute on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am

Sosie, meanwhile, was engrossed at the terminal she was looking at. She only gave Bell the briefest of looks, and while it was sympathetic, something else was obviously on her mind... But when Han talked, her eyes lit up, exhausted as she was. "You'll let her stay here.. or you'll transfer her ownership to me? Ren is always welcome in my house... And I would prefer for me to be her legal owner." Sosie frowned at little at that sentence, shaking her head.

Bell shot up from Ren's shoulder, body tensing, and her arm reached out to touch her mother's hand. Sosie's jaw set briefly, and she gave Ren a sort of sad, knowing look. "Of course, the final choice is up to her, but I'm more than willing to compensate you for a more permanent placement for her, here at Waste Away."

SosieTerrehaute

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next