A Tea Party, On The Moon. Week 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Tea Party, On The Moon. Week 40

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:03 am

Cyrus had found the place under the, Highly recommended, section of the 'fresh off the bus shuttle' brochure. A brochure he had received before even setting one foot on the Moon. And he had to privately admit that the "futuristic" stainless steel on white decor that made up 'The Greasy Spoon; cafe and restaurant,' really was the spitting image of the pre-turn of the century re-branding that characterised fast food joints of the period. The same ones which made (America great) junk food not only acceptable but also a ubiquitous convention of the society. And without which, of course, Multi-Meat wouldn't even have half their staple products, smork in particular. God that was a time consuming case study back at uni, never mind the thirty five years that it took to resolve in real time.

Inkwell nodded to one of the waiters, who wore one of the most faux-retro uniforms that the lawyer had ever seen; Replete with whit collar, tiny hat and disco boots which were simultaneously on roller blades, and held up two fingers to indicate he wouldn't be dining solo. Cyrus then sat down at one of the small tables that littered the outside of the diner, surveying one of the holoscreen menus and waited on his drinking buddy's arrival. I wonder just how many pieces of crockery one of the waiter's can manage on their own?

Last edited by Cyrus Inkwell on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Tea Party, On The Moon. Week 40

Post  Marjorie on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:36 pm

It was only a few minutes before Marge appeared behind an armful of bags, grinning excitedly. It was easy to get the impression she would be waving delightedly if her arms weren't full of purchases. The lower gravity meant shopping more, apparently, or at least no being so burdened; everyone in the shopping plaza appeared to be enjoying the moon's more fashionable stores. The lower gravity on the moon meant higher heels, too, and the ex-AXE agent was no exception. She was fantastically dressed in a pale blue shirt under a business suit made of soft brown fibers, with matching blue lensed half moon spectacles. Her outfit was rounded out with a tie. She looked.. Academic. She dropped her bags by the table with a breathy, "Hi, sorry for being late."

Jorie was practically glowing, and took in the neon lights, white tile, and red vinyl seats with a curious eye. It was nice, it was definitely retro, and had the old millennium feel. Still, she could help but feel it was a little.. synthetic? Menacing? Maybe that's just what aggressively kitschy things felt like. Still, the menu looked good and offered unparalleled views of the open plaza. She sat heavily and sighed happily. "I know it costs more to bring things to the moon, but the prices and selection here are EXceptional. I even got a new terrarium for Caleb, and some toys."
Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Cyrus glanced up at Marge as she approached, momentarily flashing her a winning smile and saluting. It was clear that the gesture of recognition, while friendly, was meant to let Cyrus get back to searching his menu. Engrossed as he was, about to decide between shocking green or estranged violet tea, Cyrus started in response to all of Marge's shopping being dropped next to his leg. The lawyer looked up and properly took in Marge's new apparel with noticeable appreciation. The brown business suit framing the blue shirt worked very well and the matching glasses brought out the xenotechnican's eyes. Which explains how they're huge and still contrive to look good on her. "Hey Marge. There's no need to apologise, this isn't a business meeting or anything. Even if your, my I say fabulous, suit might suggest otherwise?" Inkwell's expression was warm and he winked at Marjorie as he said the word fabulous.

Cyrus looked slightly to the left of Marge and his brow wrinkled as he tried to figure out if she had ever mentioned this Caleb before, or if it was a reference he should understand. Inkwell tsked and shook his head slightly as he realised that he had no idea or indeed what Caleb was or could be. Aside from any kind of insect/arachnid/amphibian/reptile/plant, of course. Cyrus initially sounded curious before his voice took on a teasing tone. "...And what exactly might Caleb be then? I'm pretty sure you haven't mentioned him to me before. Not a species I've heard of I wouldn't think, particularly if you picked him up 'oh naturale.' Assuming it's a he that is. Not branching out into biodiversity are you? It would be an odd career branch to persue, unless you wanted to look into how physiology and psychology interact. You have picked up a new species haven't you? Of course you have. Soooo, what have you observed so far?" Inkwell was getting slightly excited as he asked more questions and by the end sounded like a biology student eager to hear the latest tibbit of biodiversity related discovery and/or campus gossip. Which sometimes weren't all that different, content wise.
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marjorie on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am

Sticking her tongue at mention of her suit, Jorie eased across the table to grab the menu. "I do TRY to look good." She smiled at Cyrus and looked over the menu. She was quiet fond of the lawyer; they were new in Oracle together, and both appreciated a kind of lifestyle that was.. slightly more opulent than a lot of their co-workers. And he seemed.. relaxed enough. Predictable. And that was.. nice.

As Cyrus started asking about Caleb, her brows raised. She was excitable at the best of times, but she met his enthusiasm with her own. "Oh, I don't think he's anything new or special. Just a weird mutant triloroach. Here. I have pictures!" She pulled out her PDA and flicked through it before handing an open photo album to the lawyer. "That's him hiding in the muck there, and that's him being taken out of the muck!" Caleb was about about the size of her fist, and his terrifying sharply ridged tail was groping for the camera, hate plain in his tiny beady eyes. His jointed limbs clawed for freedom, willing to bite and shred his way there. "Mostly he's just.. you know.. cute and chitinous."

Well, she was half right.

As she continued talking, she went on about his body structure, what she had determined of his bodily functions, his likes (burrowing) and his dislikes (everything else). she knew quiet a bit of biological details, and as she plunged on, she grew more and more delighted as Inkwell understood. "And finally, that's him in a little tophat. I.. had it spare. You know.. around." She cleared her throat. "Oh, and I found him in the sewer before that.. nasty bit with the cult. You remember." she frowned a little, taking her PDA back and looking sadly at the world's most dapper hate-filled invertebrate.
Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Cyrus smiled victoriously as Marge handed him the digital photo album and flicked through the photos. Clearly his xenotechnican friend was fond of Caleb and in a more involved way than just a star specimen. Then again this whole conversation was bringing on waves of nostalgia for the old uni days. A frowned had formed on Inkwell's brow, while Marge described Caleb's biological functions but it cleared immediately as the lawyer raised his eyebrow's high at the trilroach in a mini top hat. Cyrus' smile returned and he gave his friend a look loaded full of, 'of course you had a tiny top hat on hand, its definitely wouldn't be worse if that was actually true.' Cyrus had to clear his throat to cover his slight giggles.

Though his expression did clear in surprise when Marge mentioned the cult incident and his face became an expression of studied neutrality. "Ah, I remember. That unfortunate incident. Well at least you picked up Caleb there." Cyrus sighed and searched around for something else to contribute to the conversation for a moment. Then his eyes settled on Marge's pda and he began speaking with an, "Oh! You remember you told me about the one Agent, and then she just up and left? Do you know what prompted that? It just seems very odd to me that within a few weeks one Agent would go from needing to know that the rest of her fellow Agents were outfitted to her satisfaction to straight up leaving. Especially given the success Agent Nizky enjoyed leading that mission. Caleb looked particularly dapper by the way, and I'm sure he is a fine specimen of his species. Oh and I think I'm going to start with the shocking Violet, you?" Cyrus looked back up from the menu and realised he'd cut Marjorie off after asking a question. "Oh, my apologies. Go on." Cyrus did remember to look suitably abashed.
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marjorie on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 am

"Oh! Hm.. Violet?" She glanced back down at the menu hurriedly, leaving her PDA on the table. Her eyes scanned it briefly. "Oh no! I'm not gonna go for tea when they have 78.9% real milk milkshakes here. Oh, I'll go with the.." She peered through her glasses as she read primly, "Razzleberry Explosion".

She picked her PDA up, and flagging down the waitress--how traditional and quaint, with waiters and waitresses on wheels--and ordered. When Cyrus was done with his order, she smiled a little sadly. "Darya? Apparently the dangerous and unethical nature of Oracle was too much for her." Only Cyrus could see the bemused little look in her eyes. "And she might be right, of course. I don't know how I feel about.. ..murder." Her lips pursed. "Though given how eagerly Darya was willing to murder the Cult, apparently her views are a little bit more.. complicated than mine." And there was that look again, saying to the lawyer everything he needed to know about Marge's thought on the matter. "Of course, she may have just been waiting to make things serious with Ace. They're an item now." Madge made a more personal look, confusion with mild distaste. "And she, along with everyone else who I see on Earth, seems very invested in other Oracle agents. They really are amazingly generous. I think they remember what it was like to be us, new and surrounded by people with oodles of credits." She shrugged, sheer material of her top shimmering in the artificial light. "I didn't ask too many questions about her leaving. I wasn't on the mission that was a turning point for her, but Ace did seem to make out.. well."
Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Cyrus wasn't quite sure what to make of the amusement mixed with sadness that coloured the start of Marge's explanation of Darya's retirement. Inkwell decided that nodding gravely was the best course of action when the look lit Marge's eyes again, there were feelings there on matters that he hadn't witnessed and had only second hand accounts of. "Well I don't know about any of that, just keep yourself safe first and foremost," Cyrus looked up as the drinks arrived and thanked the waiter. He couldn't help but eye Marge's milkshake was something like envy but that was just his sweet tooth talking. Don't work yourself up, you've got a calming drink and as much credit as you can bring yourself to spend later.

The lawyer raised his eyebrows at the relationship gossip and made a face to equal Marge's confusion. "Why would you wait? Who would do that? I mean, you know, if its the dangers of the job you're concerned about then you can just go and get backed up. Our pay makes it that simple and the procedure wasn't even very involved." Cyrus took a sip of his tea before realising he should provide a little more context and swallowed hurriedly. "I just *a-hem*, sorry, I just came from Itoma. I figure it is just another form of insurance." More tea sipping occurred on the Lawyer's part, whose gaze kept wandering slightly to the right of Marge's face. "Amazingly generous,' says the Agent who handed me three tactical assault shields on my first outing. Though I suppose there must be one or two hanging on since the Corporation started its activities. Oracle really has achieved an awful lot in its short time so far." Inkwell smiled warmly at his friend.

Cyrus nodded and while it was clear that his attention was distracted he was definitely paying Marge some attention. "I actually spent some time with Agent Nizky not long ago, same week that you were in Detroit and I'm very surprised to learn about him and Darya. He didn't mention it at all and he seemed very open welcoming and open. Well after an initial misunderstanding but I can hardly blame him for that." Cyrus realised that Marge had noticed his wandering gaze and fixing her with a firm look, slowly moved his head to the right before letting a meaningful gaze fall on a spot behind Marjorie and emphatically raising his eyebrows. Behind Marjorie one of the waiters was bending forward, serving a table, and his figure was rather shown off by the uniform.
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marjorie on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

Marge slowly turned around to see what Cyrus was looking at, and took a brief moment to admire the waiter behind her. Cute as he was, or at least, cute as this view of him was, Cyrus' eye movements told Marge a lot more about him than they did the waiter. Ah.

She smiled back at her lawyer friend, and shook her head a little. "A form of insurance, yes, but you still die. You still end, and experience death. There's just another you, a previous you, around." She played with the holomenu, running her fingers through the light and watching how the image distorted. "At least, that's why some people don't do it. For me, one copy of Tex is enough." She smirked.. and then winced.. as an inner voice yelled at her. She cooed consolingly, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding, and you don't even like the idea anyway. Shh. ..Sorry. Having so much does make most of us feel generous, huh? But.. Darya was, more than most. But unbalanced, too."

She took her hands out of the light, and looked around at the tacky little cafe. She couldn't help but kind of like it. "And yes, Ace is very.. nice. Open. Generous. I quite like him. Though he does seem tight lipped about.. lots of things." She shrugged again, looking around hopefully for her milkshake.
Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Cyrus brows knit together as his friend emphatically spelled out what he already knew and had been repeatedly told all day. He returned his gaze to his friend, with just a hint of reluctance and responded. "True, but wouldn't you say that normal insurance is just previous money that has been backup up? And that it is important to keep up with your payments so that you don't get too previous on your insurance? And a "previous" me is an appreciably more appealing prospect than there not being a me at all. With all due regard to me, of course.” Cyrus worried that his attempted wordplay fell a little flat there, but he knew that people tended not to notice so long as you confidently soldier on. “And I would argue that no one experiences death, since everything that you do experience is a sensation or some form of sensory input that has been translated by your brain into something it can understand. And by definition death is the point at which brain functions cease. But following that logic you could make the theoretical proposition that death is only something that happens to other people, since you'll never experience it happening to you. But this is a purely academic diversion and a tangential one at that." Cyrus waved his hand in the expanse of space immediately before him as if wiping his words off of a touchscreen.

The lawyer suppressed the slightly concerned expression that Marge breaking off to talk to herself arose, instead opting for studied neutrality and a sip of tea. It was never a good idea to involve oneself in another couple's domestic dispute, no matter how minor. Inkwell made a note to pay for the xenotechnican's bill, he hadn't been particularly generous with the money he had made after all. Cyrus' measured, poker-faced expression relaxed a little but did not disappear entirely as Marge voiced her approval of Ace. "Well I can certainly understand being tight lipped about a number of matters. Especially whilst still getting to know new people. New Agents, no less." Cyrus set down his tea and clasped his hands before him. He opened his mouth for a moment before speaking, as if marshalling his words. "...Now I hope you don't mind if I turn the subject to more immediate matters, and that you don't mind talking about this in somewhere so... public. But not to put too fine a point on it, why are we going into your mind today Marge? And what are we expecting to find?"
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marjorie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 am

Marge waved her hand amusedly as Cyrus went on a rant about death. She looked at the milkshake on the table hungrily, and sucked some down with a look of bliss on her face. She took her time to sip more, and considered the lawyers question. She didn't seem to mind talking about it in public; most of it would be gibberish to the uninitiated anyway.

"Somehow, I knew about where to find Keith. I don't know why. I want to find out.. how that information got in my brain, and why I felt so compelled to find it." She spun her glass in her hands, fidgeting. She had lots of displacement activity, but it got worse when she was.. focusing on things that made her uncomfortable. "I need to know. The idea that is could have somehow affected me from the moon.." She shivered, and not because she was drinking a cold drink.
Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Cyrus pouted slightly as Marge mimicked his hand motion, friendly teasing always deserved to be repaid in kind. As Marge chewed over her answer, and possibly the milkshake, Inkwell began to wonder if what he had asked was a faux pas especially given the coffee with a friend context of the situation. The former Aegis agent nodded in outward agreement to the ex-AXE agent’s need for understanding while internally correcting ‘Keith’ to ‘Alien device.’ Looks as though the new entity’s nickname is how she thinks of it now, even before the mix. Then the Lawyer noticed the spinning milkshake, Alternatively it could be that Marge is just focusing on something personally distressing and doesn’t care much for terminology at the present moment.

Cyrus opted for his tone of studied neutrality, unsure of whether or not Marge would appreciate jokes at the moment. Probably not. “Careful there, I’m pretty sure spilling a moonshake is bad luck. Um, surely that’s not possible though. If the device had that functionality it could have simply picked up a shuttle, or I pilot I suppose, and escaped that way? Miller-Urey sees its fair share of traffic. I suppose I shouldn’t really speculate on what XenoKeith can do though. The ramifications if it could do that… I suppose I don’t want to think about. I’m all for finding out how you knew, that is definitely something that you should know. Okay, so that sentence wasn’t a spectacular display of spelling, grammar or fidelity to proper syntax but I felt the need to express support. And I reckon you’re pretty brave I’m not sure how confident I would be letting Positron run around in here.” Cyrus pointed to his temple and then quickly drank from his tea, wondering how it would be to have your cybernetics turned against you. A sour expression accompanied Inkwell’s contemplation.
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marjorie on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Jorie frowned slightly, making a sort of warning eye contact as Cyrus said XenoKeith, but nodded at his apprehension. She drank some of her milkshake, spinning her glass around nervously as she did so. As the lawyer drank his tea, she sighed. "The space around MU is actually very restricted, and I can't imagine anyone looking for it as hard as I did." She traced her fingers in some condensation, looking apologetic and guilty. She tried to smile, but it was a weak and queasy sort of grin. "It was actually very well hidden. Some of the protections in place.." She shook her head. "But you're right, the alternative is so.. nasty, to consider. That's why I'm hoping you can find out."

"And besides.. Positron's not so bad. ..Probably."

Marjorie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrus Inkwell on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Cyrus was a little thrown not least by Marge's caution. I suppose sitting on the moonand mentioning the word Xeno could attract a little of the wrong kind of attention. Still green to all this cloak and dagger... Not exactly the sort of thing that gets into spy novels. Inkwell wondered how he missed the subtle signs. Out of practise, Mr Lawyer man. "Well I hope I can be helpful for that but of all of us you would be best suited to it... Actually thqts probably gping to make this more difficult isn't it, damn." The lawyer smiled ruefully at his own joke and wondered why he was so off form today. "I suppose I may have judged Positron a little hastily. He does have all kinds of wkonderful toys." The former Aegis agent was at a loss for words, thinking that now might not be the best time to ask for directions to the shops. Eventually he settled on space. "I'm going to go and get another "round", can I get you anything? Refill, sent over by a nice waiter perhaps" Cyrus decided to add all the cheesy charm he could and winked at Marge as he stood.
Cyrus Inkwell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top